cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Selection List - Help Required

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I am backing up NetApp Snapvault data using NDMP backup. I have windows master server and doing a local NDMP backup.

Currently I have to change the selection list every time prior running the backup to remove old and insert new path into selection list. This is because every time NetApp SnapVault creates new folder based on the time stamp.

Can someone help me create  a script to include the latest created directory (using time stamp) in selection list.

I have never done any scripting on nay platform till date. I would also request to help me learn scripting.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
If I were to look to doing the same thing here, where our master is Solaris & we can get by with scripting, it looks like it would be a right royal pain!.

Would need to utilise bpplinclude commmand to:
(a) list current backup selection  bpplinclude policy -l  (& cut out the word 'INCLUDE')
(b) delete current backup selection bpplinclude policy -delete path_from_(a)
(c) add new backup selection bpplinclude policy -add new_path_to_be_determined
or
(b-c)  modify backup selection bpplinclude policy -modify path_from_(a) new_path_to_be_determined

That's fine to a point.

The hardest bit will be to identify what needs to be your new backup selection. You can't interrogate the filer directly to determine this, but how would you script something via Windows to do this? Sorry, my background is *NIX!

For us we would need to have an nfs mount of the underlying volume which we could then interrogate to find the most recent/current directory. The format of the mount point or path would then need to be amended to relate directly to the filer (e.g. from /filer1/volume1/backup.date to /vol/vol1/backup.date or whatever). This could then be fed into the bpplinclude command as the required backup selection.

Unless there's a really easy way of doing this that I'm totally missing.....anything in SnapVault that could make this easier with regards to naming conventions, locations or similar (don't use it .... just yet!!)??