cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Standalone Master to Clustered

Jaykullar
Level 5

Hi All,

I currenlty have single physical master servers. I am looking to either promote the current master into a clustered master server by adding a new server, or build out a new cluster and then DR the catalog back to the cluster, i take it this is possible if the virtual name is the same as the original master server?

Has anyone done this perviously, is there any adivse, tips?

Currently on NBU 7.5.0.5 and on Windows 2008 R2.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is not a DIY job - only Symantec Consulting Partners have tools to migrate non-clustered master to clustered.

See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne

This is not a DIY job - only Symantec Consulting Partners have tools to migrate non-clustered master to clustered.

See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

Jaykullar
Level 5

I understand that PS is recommened, but the last PS at this site was terrible, I had to undo alot as Sybase was relocated incorrectly on all domains!!

I will speak with Symantec, but also interested to hear from anyone who has done this before. I might setup a POC and test.

Marianne

Trust me - I've tried to restore non-clustered catalog to a newly clustered installation (virtual hostname was the same as original master). EMM database restore failed. Non-clustered EMM database cannot be restored to clustered installation. Special migration tools are needed to dump old database and then populate new database.

PS: Have you complained to Symantec about previous engagement?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

jay,

You can speak with Symantec, but Tech Support will just say what Marianne has, you need Professional Services. If you have an account manager, work with them to get PS involved. Just ask for someone else this time!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is 100% unsupported to do this ...

You might get something up and running  and then be hit by a whole load of issues later on, which may well be unfixable.

Do what you like on a test system, do not do this on a production system, it's way to complex to try and do a DIY job.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

Martin

Jaykullar
Level 5

Thanks Marianne.

It was pre my time here at this company, I only realised when I tried upgrading from 7.1.0.4 and ran into a whole host of issues across three domains. We just will not be using them again.

Jaykullar
Level 5

Sorry I ment speak to my account manager, and technical account manager to progress with options.

Marianne
@vazkr
If you want to add or ask something, please start a new discussion.