cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the veritas netbackup 8.0 database password - safe and on the fly?

maxsven
Level 4

Hi,I see a procedure below from the admin guide to change the password for the netbackup database (below).Can someone please tell me if it is safe to change the password via the command shown in the procedure? will it break anything?

1 Log on to the server as a Windows Administrator or asroot.

2 To change the password for the first time after installation, run the following command.The command updates the vxdbms.conf file with the new,encrypted string: OnWindows:install_path\NetBackup\bin\nbdb_admin -dba new_password On UNIX:/usr/openv/db/bin/nbdb_admin -dba new_password The password needs to be an ASCII string. Non-ASCII characters are not allowed in the password string.

3 To change a known password to a new password, you can either use the nbdb_admincommand or the NetBackup Database Administration utility. You must know the current password to log into the NetBackup Database Administration utility.

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes you can do it safely online using that command.

The current password is a randomly generated one, and you don't need the password to change the password (via cli). So you'll see there is no real point IMHO. Unless somebody knows the current one, they'll not be able to remotely connect. Since the chance of them guessing the random one is the same of them guessing the one you'll choose is about the same, i don't see the point in changing it.

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are some situation when we migrate NBDB from host to host and we need to reset the password to default but in "normal" life we don't need to know it at all.