Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Size of Backup Images on Expired Tapes

Kernal
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have customer where they want to IMPORT an Image from Expired Tapes. All is good so far and the IMPORT of an Image is taking long (which is normal).

The Only concern i have is there any way to check the sizes of the Images? so that i can import an appropriate Image by checking the size.

Below screen shot shows the image i am trying to Import ( all i want if there is way to check the size of the IMAGE on EXPIRED Tape)

Import.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Short answer:no

NetBackup only knows size for active images. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

Short answer:no

NetBackup only knows size for active images. 

Kernal
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Will,

Thanks for responding, okay do you have it some where documented? so that i can have valid prove to put infront of customer?

Appreciate it

Regards,

Kernal

onur_yalcinkaya
Level 2
Partner

Did you checked with OPS center?

Kernal
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Onur,

No OPS Center in the Enviroment.

Thanks

Kernal

Will_Restore
Level 6

As far as documentation, I think the screenshot above is pretty good.  smiley

Kernal
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Will,

Thanks for the comment.

DaveM16
Level 4
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Kernal

You should be able to use the "bpmedialist -mcontents -m <MediaID>" command to check the images/fragments on the tape.

It may take some peicing together of the information as the output is by fragment, but each fragment will have a size you can total together - check the reference guide for bpmedialist for details on the output.

There may be additional challenges with images spread across multiple tapes, but if confined to a single tape this should provide  the information you need.

Cheers

David

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunately, bpmedialist -mcontents won't work if the tape is expired - you would have to phase 1 import it first.

bpmedialist is a command that 'uses' what we call the 'media DB'.   A tape is only in the 'media DB' if it has an assign time.  An expired tape has no Assign time, and so bpmedialist command will just error.

root@womble sql $ bpmedialist
Server Host = womble

id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS ------->
           On Hold
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAPE01   0      1   06/17/2016 09:41  06/17/2016 09:41   hcart          32     0
                1   06/24/2016 09:34        N/A

Expire the tape

root@womble sql $ bpexpdate -d 0 -force -m TAPE01

Try a bpmedialist command

root@womble sql $ bpmedialist -m TAPE01
requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

After a phase 1 import, bpmedialist reports the tape (so it has made an entry for it in the media DB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAPE01   0      1   06/17/2016 09:41        N/A          hcart           0     0
                0   06/25/2016 07:38        N/A         IMPORTED

Then mcontents will work ...

root@womble sql $ bpmedialist -mcontents -m TAPE01
media id = TAPE01, allocated 06/17/2016 09:41, retention level = 0, Media on Hold = 0

File number 1
  Backup id = womble_1466152452
  Creation date = 06/17/2016 09:41
  Expiration date = 06/24/2016 09:34
  Retention level = 0
  Copy number = 2
  Fragment number = 1
  Block size (in bytes) = 65536