cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkpoints and calendar based backups with big execution windows

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue as the guy over here, who couldn't have it resolved: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/netbackup-checkpoint-calendar-schedule-failes-netbackup-7x

Basically, a very big and slow full backup takes 35-40h to complete. Last time it failed after 36h and it restarted from scratch, not using any checkpoints. It started on a Saturday early morning and failes on a Sunday afternoon.

According to the admin guide, checkpoints are ignored in the following scenarios

1. If a new job is due to run, or, for calendar-based scheduling, another run day
has arrived.

2. If the time indicated by the Clean-up property, Move backup job from
incomplete state to done state, has passed.

This policy is MS-Windows and thefragment size for the robot (this is a backup to tape) is set to 50GB.

I believe 1. is my case. I changed 2. to 6h (from 3) and the backup job is retried 2 times every 3 hours.

2 REPLIES 2

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Oops, hit the publish button thinking it was the save one.

I was saying that I changed (2), but I wonder if there is any way around (1)? Maybe configuring it to run every x weeks instead? I'm not a fan of that as it's easier to remember that 3rd fridays of the month are full backup fridays, but if it is what it takes I'll just suck it up.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

from my experience, using calendar-based scheduling is more rare then frequency based scheduling. If you would convert to frequency based schedule (with frequency larger > 2 days at least here), you would not encounter this issue.

But I admit there could be situations where calendar-based scheduling is important. Consider if "third Sunday in a month" is important is some way in your company for full backups, or if full backup can be simply taken "every 4 weeks" regardless a certain week. Depends on operations on source data.

Regards

Michal