Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on SLP duplications

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

Hi All,

I have 7.1.0.2 Solaris master server and have slps in place for backup.

Master server is a 4 node cluster, 2 in Datacenter1( DC1) and other 2 in Datacenter2(DC2)  for disaster recovery.

SLP is configured with a backup and 3 duplications as below

Backup ->  DC1 disk -> Expire after duplictaion

Duplictaion-> DC1 tape -> Fixed 35 days

Duplication -> DC2 disk -> Expire after duplication

Duplication -> DC2 tape-> fixed 35 days

Please let me know if duplications takes palce in order as its configured and is this configurtaion correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

SLP is configured as serial duplication.

Backup will be taken into dc1_dd first, then duplicate images from dc1_dd to dc1_tape.
After first duplication is completed, images will be duplicated from dc1_tape to dc2_dd.
Finally, duplicated images in dc2_dd will be duplicated from dc2_dd to dc2_tape.

I assume you are using Data Domain as dc1_dd and dc2_dd.
Why don't you configure duplication from dc1_dd to dc2_dd? With current configuration, backup images are rehydrated when they are duplicated from DD to tape. So, data will be rehydrated once, and un-deduplicated data will be transfered from dc1_tape to dc2_dd.
If you have replication license on both DD and you configure duplication from dc1_dd to dc2_dd directly, you can duplicate data from dc1_dd to dc2_dd without rehydration. Only unique data chunks which does not held in dc2_dd will be send.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I can not determine if this SLP ducplication is configured in series or in parallel from this text.

Please post output of "nbstl -L" and "bpstulist -U".

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

I have attached the outputs. Also I have got my query cleared from the output but can you please tel me about duplications in series and parallel.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

SLP is configured as serial duplication.

Backup will be taken into dc1_dd first, then duplicate images from dc1_dd to dc1_tape.
After first duplication is completed, images will be duplicated from dc1_tape to dc2_dd.
Finally, duplicated images in dc2_dd will be duplicated from dc2_dd to dc2_tape.

I assume you are using Data Domain as dc1_dd and dc2_dd.
Why don't you configure duplication from dc1_dd to dc2_dd? With current configuration, backup images are rehydrated when they are duplicated from DD to tape. So, data will be rehydrated once, and un-deduplicated data will be transfered from dc1_tape to dc2_dd.
If you have replication license on both DD and you configure duplication from dc1_dd to dc2_dd directly, you can duplicate data from dc1_dd to dc2_dd without rehydration. Only unique data chunks which does not held in dc2_dd will be send.

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Yasuhisa ! I am doing the changes in my environment considering your valuable suggetsion  :)