cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Tape Type

luisvidal
Level 5

Hi fellows,

I have a tape library (i6000) with both LTO4 and LTO5 tape drives, and I am using NetBackup (v7.5.0.6) to manage the tape drive cleaning. At the moment I only have tapes with labels such as, "CLN001". I have created a barcode rule for them, using HC2_CLN as media type, so they are able to clean the LTO5 tape drives.

Is there a way for me to use the same tapes (same label format CLNxxx) to clean the LTO4 drives? I know I have to use a different media type, but do I have to find new labels for them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot do anything automatically to help with this i am afraid...

You can just delete them and re-add them with the other media density or just setup rules for each tape (cln001 = hc2_cln ... cln002 = hc3_cln etc.)

Failing that maybe a little batch file that you can run to make life easy..

vmchange -new_mt hcart3_clean -m CLN001

and vice versa to change it back:

vmchange -new_mt hcart2_clean -m CLN001

- that will do it on the fly for you - note it uses a different media naming convention here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RonCaplinger
Level 6

We had a number of cleaning tapes stocked up when we added LTO4 drives, and we are still using LTO3 tapes (which can't be encrypted) for catalog and keystore backups.  So we still had to define different drives as HCART and HCART3. That meant we also had to create a barcode rule for almost every current cleaning tape so that some would be used for each of the different media types.

Since then, we have ordered CLN1* and CLN2* cleaning tapes, and will only need two barcode rules for them once the old ones are used up.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot do anything automatically to help with this i am afraid...

You can just delete them and re-add them with the other media density or just setup rules for each tape (cln001 = hc2_cln ... cln002 = hc3_cln etc.)

Failing that maybe a little batch file that you can run to make life easy..

vmchange -new_mt hcart3_clean -m CLN001

and vice versa to change it back:

vmchange -new_mt hcart2_clean -m CLN001

- that will do it on the fly for you - note it uses a different media naming convention here.