Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Configuration Option

js88699
Level 5
Partner

Hello all,

Two jobs ago I used a config option on a client to prevent NetBackup from scanning the drives/file systems before starting the backup. This saved many hours in the process.  This was done on systems with excessive amounts of small files.  I can't find it again and have no access to go back and see what it was.  I don't remember if it was a line in bp.conf or a touch file.  Anyone recall what this was?  Not something I've used a lot of, but I know it exists.  Thanks guys in advance.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The only one I can think of is to add the DONT_SORT_DIR touch file on a client, in the ...<install_path>/netbackup directory.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Used in multi-streamed backups etc etc

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124876

.... altho' that doesn't *quite* fit your description! No ..... must be something else .....

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Or was it to use the Journal rather than archive bit during incremental backups?

Client Host Properties - Windows Client - Client Settings - Use Change Journal in Incrementals

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

yes

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Client Job Tracker perhaps?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31484

Scroll down to NetBackup 5.x , 6.x, 7.x  section.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The only one I can think of is to add the DONT_SORT_DIR touch file on a client, in the ...<install_path>/netbackup directory.

js88699
Level 5
Partner

No not one of those.  This helps mostly with the full backups so it does not spend hours and hours scanning the file system before it starts.  It forces the backup to just start moving data.

js88699
Level 5
Partner

Sorry more answers came in while I was composing my last response.  Ron got it.  DONT_SORT_DIR

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

cool

Amaan
Level 6

Does it have any impact. I understood benefits, but what are the impacts? If no impact why it is initially not default in NBU.