cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Exclude list with vmware/vstoragae api backups

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

Will exclude list works with vstorage api backups of vmware?

i have exclude oracle and sql related data files from backup because we do not backup online database.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Vstorage backup is a image level backup. Exclude list only work for agent based backups.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Vstorage backup is a image level backup. Exclude list only work for agent based backups.

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Nicolai

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you only want the boot disk backed up then NBU 7.5 has an option to exclude the data disks (and vice versa you can exclude the boot disk)

If you are concerned about the quiece of the applications then you can edit that clients tool.conf used by vmware to set application quiece to be disabled

tarangdce
Level 4
Partner

I have a concern over backing up .ldf/.mdf (SQL data files). we have excluded those files from normal backups and if I took backup using vstorage api, this will be backed up :(

Does 7.5 has an option to exclude specific extentions (i.e. *.ldf/*.mdf)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

In NBU 7.5 you can exclude disk from VMware backup, but not single files.

Notes say:

"Exclude data disks"
When data is protected via agent in-the-guest (e.g. Oracle®)

However. NBU 7.5 support consistent VMware backup of Exchange & SQL server. 

Take a look at the "Netbackup 7.5 presentation in this thread "https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-competitive-stratey"

Quote from the presentation:

Previous versions of NetBackup offered sophisticated VMware virtual machine protection as well as advanced database protection with Symantec’s patent-pending Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). However, they were not integrated… database backups, with or without GRT, did not work with VMware VADP backups and required a separate backup pass, treating the virtual machine as if it were a physical machine.

NetBackup 7.5 does away with this limitation, saving time, disk space, and money by integrating these two technologies for VMware virtual machines. Now it’s possible to perform a high-speed VMware VADP backup of a database server while retaining all the features of NetBackup’s advanced database agents, including item-level granular recovery. All of this is done in one fast backup pass – no more redundant copies of the same data. You can recover data at any level – full virtual machines, individual files, entire databases, or specific objects and items within a database. These recovery options work in exactly the same way as they always have in NetBackup, so there’s no need to retrain operators and database administrators.