cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Hostname not being returned in Test query or in backup.

DevallP
Level 2

Hi There, We are running 7.7.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have a policy that backs up 2 SQL Servers in a VMWare policy.

A couple of months ago i noticed in the backup reports that one of the servers was being recorded as an IP address rather than the hostname.  Not only that but it is not the proper ip address that is being recorded.

On further investigation it seems it is recording as a 169.254.*.* address which appears to be the address given under the following adapter in ipconfig.  This changes every backup so is going to prove annoying if i ever have to restore this server from backup.  It can only be found in the restore by the ip address that it has used in the backup.

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f055:*************
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.********
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.******
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The ip address returned should be the first IPv4 address

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::562:*************
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 143.234.********
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.*******
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 143.234.********
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.*********
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 143.234.********

Does anyone know why the 169.* address is being picked up?

If i ping the server i get the 143.* ipaddress.

If i do an nslookup on the 143.* address i get the server hostname.

I don't know where this 169.* address is being picked up from.  It's been going on for a couple of months.

Thanks

Phil

5 REPLIES 5

CB_NBU
Level 3

If it's clustered then it's picking up the 169 from that.

Check failover cluster manager, and look into manually defining hosts files if needed on master & media.

Hi, Thanks for the response!

Yes, the 2 SQL Servers are clustered.  I have checked the Failover Cluster manager and i cannot see any mention of this 169 ip address anywhere.  It seems to have the correct IP address listed in the nodes section.

I have added the correct ip address and hostname to the hosts file on both the media and master servers.

I have restarted the client netbackup services on the problem server.

Still getting the same.

Genericus
   VIP   

If you were running a unix flavor I would suggest you check your required interface in the client values.

I know with Linux, there are settings required with systems with multiple NICS to require the packets to go out the same interface they came in on.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here's TechNote that describes to root cause of the problem https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH71551 Your case is:

2.  The ipaddr for this virtual machine is populated, but is not the desired IP address.

Solution:  VMware support will need to be engaged as guest operating systems with multiple IP addresses may require internal virtual machine configuration to force vcbVmName.exe to return the desired IP address.

Bit of a late reply, i've been on leave.

It seems that is something we do not use "VMware Consolidated Backup Framework"

Anyway, i seem to have found a work around to the problem.

In the policy, on the VMWare tab.  I changed the Primary VM identifiwe ro VM display name (from VM Host Name).

This has fixed the problem and presumably points to the problem lying in VMWare but still not sure how to resolve properly.  The link you sent Mike, we don't have that executable.  Speaking to my VM Admin, this is not something we use.