cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Propeties setting: Do not compress files ending with:

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Just wondering how many people use this setting and if they've seen any benefits from it.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

I dont do compression as deduplication doesn't perform as well as it could if the files are not compressed. If using tapes then let the hardware do the compression, not software. Only use of compression I have seen is as a form of throttling for network bandwidth years ago. But if you use policy compression then you would want to not compress already compressed files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6

I dont compress any files. but if I did then I would add the normal type of already compressed files suffix so that I would not be compressing already copmpressed files as that would just be wasting resources.

listing of suffixes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archive_formats

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

So you're saying none of the servers you backup contain any zip or tar files?

Nobody compresses log files, etc.. ?

Stumpr2
Level 6

I dont do compression as deduplication doesn't perform as well as it could if the files are not compressed. If using tapes then let the hardware do the compression, not software. Only use of compression I have seen is as a form of throttling for network bandwidth years ago. But if you use policy compression then you would want to not compress already compressed files.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Light is starting to flicker on ..

So the client property setting referred to in this thread topic overrides the policy attribute: Compress.

I've always ignored the 'Compress' policy attribute as well.  In fact so much that I forgot it existed and for a moment thought about netbackup doing compression as it writes to tape...and I was thinking too much.

Anyway.. thanks for your help.  In short, I've never used it and I probably never will.. Like you I'm doing deduplication.