Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client backup Encryption

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner
Dear All;
I try  to enable Client Encryption backup by following this steps
1-      Select checkbox on Client properties by enable encryption.
2-      Chose encryption checkbox in backup policy.
But the backup failed with status error 46,I checked logs, logs view that Client encryption backup need new license.
Please I need your help to explain how I can Enable encryption backup and

if encryption backup need new license, And is this the license is different from the standard license key.
please your advice if I need to buy new encryption licenses for all backup system.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
This should probably be two different threads.

lalahmad: 
What version of NetBackup are you running, and what NetBackup version were you running when you got the license key you're using right now?  CEO wasn't always a "free" option so you may be running a version requiring a separate key, OR you may be running a version where encryption is enabled, but your old license key may not be enabling it.

(Everyone who starts a thread here really, REALLY needs to at least tell us what version of NetBackup they're running and the relevant O/S/architecture!  Have I said this before?   :)  )

MariusD:
Status 183, 184 and 185 usually stem from incorrect passphrases or mislocated keyfiles, causing tar to not be able to handle the not decrypted data.  Does /usr/openv/var/keyfile.dat exist on the client?  You may need to run bpkeyutil on the client and (re)create the key.  Hope you know your pass phrase!

On a related note, here's my favourite TechNote which gives an overview of the client encryption option:

DOCUMENTATION: More about the NetBackup Encryption Option - detailed demonstration of encrypted backups, restores, disaster recovery and troubleshooting
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/295732

Good luck!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MariusD
Level 6
HI Ialahmad, Hi all

I have same problem as you. I need to take a encrypted backup and i have did step 1 and 2. Backup fail with status error "tar had an unexpected error(184)"

What is it?

Regards,
Marius Demeter

CRZ
Level 6
This should probably be two different threads.

lalahmad: 
What version of NetBackup are you running, and what NetBackup version were you running when you got the license key you're using right now?  CEO wasn't always a "free" option so you may be running a version requiring a separate key, OR you may be running a version where encryption is enabled, but your old license key may not be enabling it.

(Everyone who starts a thread here really, REALLY needs to at least tell us what version of NetBackup they're running and the relevant O/S/architecture!  Have I said this before?   :)  )

MariusD:
Status 183, 184 and 185 usually stem from incorrect passphrases or mislocated keyfiles, causing tar to not be able to handle the not decrypted data.  Does /usr/openv/var/keyfile.dat exist on the client?  You may need to run bpkeyutil on the client and (re)create the key.  Hope you know your pass phrase!

On a related note, here's my favourite TechNote which gives an overview of the client encryption option:

DOCUMENTATION: More about the NetBackup Encryption Option - detailed demonstration of encrypted backups, restores, disaster recovery and troubleshooting
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/295732

Good luck!

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner
Hi CRZ;
our netbackup system version is master 6.5.4 and also there some media server 6.0 and some SAN media server .
I need your advise about number of new licenses need to buy to activate Encryption backup and what is licenses type.

MariusD
Level 6
ok, thanks CRZ. Now work all encrypted backup.

Regards,
Marius

JoeH
Level 3
Be sure to keep a copy of your key passphrase in case you need to rebuild the server or restore the data to another host.  You will need to setup the keyfile on the new server to restore data there but it will work.  We have run encryption since NB v4.5 and it works very well.  The encryption agent is built in now and is no charge, so just buying the backup client gets the license.  The key setup on the host is via command line.

Joe

CRZ
Level 6
Hi lalahmad,

If your liceneses have been upgraded to 6.5, you should be able to use Encryption.  If your licenses are a bit older and have need to be upgraded (it's usually no cost to update I believe), you may need to get in touch with your sales contact or call support if you don't have one.  I THINK you can get it done online, but I don't know how to get there myself - sorry!

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner

After follow this steps

1-            select checkbox enable encryption on Client properties .

2-            select encryption checkbox in backup policy attributes.

3-            I put Master hostname In server list of requested Client.

The  error status code 46  disappeared and  become 184, I was solved this issue by create Encryption Key using command “bpkeyutil” everything is well.