Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client communication with media but not with master

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hi Team,

Till now in backup infrastrcutre, i have seen client , master and media server and storage devices can communicate with each other.

there is one query raised.

what if i have situation like;

Clients and media server can communicate 

Media and master server can communicate.

but

I wont be ablt to ping client from master server.

Will backup work in these kind of scenarios.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes.... it will work only if they are File systems bakups schedules from Master servers..

any kind of client request does not work (like restore from client, user backups, DB backups etc.. ) also can not update the configuraitons from Mater server..

but File system backups still work as long as you have the good communication between the media server and client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Master server contact client to resolve the "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" directive  I have been told. So backup will likely fail.

Now, just because ping doesn't work, it doesn mean master server can't talk to client. Firewall usually filter off ICMP (ping) packages.

To test for connectivity use Netbackup command bptestbpcd

How to use bptestbpcd:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000029625

RamNagalla

yes.... it will work only if they are File systems bakups schedules from Master servers..

any kind of client request does not work (like restore from client, user backups, DB backups etc.. ) also can not update the configuraitons from Mater server..

but File system backups still work as long as you have the good communication between the media server and client.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

As mentiioned earlier ping is not necessary the reason for backup failure as ICMP might be disabled

But yes if the other required NBU ports are open then backups should work

You can telnet the bpcd ,vnetd and  pbx port to verify if those ports are open

sdo

ping is not a NetBackup comms test.

Use this on the master:

bptestbpcd -verbose -client myclientname

Use this on the client to get client to reach out to master and what this does is ask the master to report back to client a response to:   "Hey master server, who do you think I am?"

bpclntcmd -pn

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thank you all for the response

In this configuration, i am told that client wont be able to communicate with master server at all.

@Ram,

As you said file system backup will work.

What if i have application backup like exchange, sharepoint, oracle, will that also work?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Database backups will not work. Db backups generate comms from client directly to the master. Filesystem backups will work where the file list is specified in Backup Selection, not ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. For Windows backups, snapshot backups must be disabled as the client needs to update snapshot info on the master. Please have a look at the various process flow diagrams in the Logging Assistant Guide. You will see where comms are needed between master and client. http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8600

areznik
Level 5

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES does work without communications with the master, tested on 7.6.0.4 and 7.7.1 with Windows and Unix clients/policies. It will NOT work if you have multistreaming enabled on the policy. 

RamNagalla

Expect file system bakups(with out Mulit streaming).. nothing will work...