cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client install issues

ebodykid
Level 4

Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this..

We have a number of servers that we are migrating from an outside managed hosting provider, over to being managed by us.  The systems in question are running Solaris 10 / Sparc.  After migrating, it was noticed that the clients were running netbackup 6.5, so I am attempting to upgrade them to what we are running in our environment (7.1), not only to get them current but to also overcome the zfs bug in running pre-6.5.2 NBU.

The problem is, it seems that when they have "installed" the netbackup client on the systems, all they did is take a tarball and explode it out on the servers.  When i attempt to install the client (using install_client_file sftp <host> <user>) and attempt to run the sh /tmp/bp.xxx/client_config it runs thru the installer (does PBX first), but bombs out because it doesnt find the SYMCnbclt package on the system.

I was able to get it up to 7.0 (it was the only version of the client install i had at the time) by running the full NB7.0 client install script, but it still had some errors on the install(didnt properly config vnetd service) and in doing a pkginfo | grep -i netbackup, it still does not know of any netbackup being installed.  Although it does temporarily get me around the zfs issue (all_local_disk) and i can back up the system, i am not able to install any newer clients until a solution can be had. 

So, it seems that the issue is that the installer sees that netbackup is installed on the system, but since it doesnt live in the Solaris package db, it fails to install

Below is what i have tried so far:

moved /usr/openv/netbackup to another location and attempted to install

moved /usr/openv to another location and attempted to install

Does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ebodykid
Level 4

I found the solution and it was so stupid, it is almost embarassing to give it..  But after running the install a couple more times using the full 7.1 Client install tar.gz and looking line by line at the trace file, i came across a line that said "./cp_to_client: pkgadd: not found".  Seeing this, it sent me towards looking to see why pkgadd was not found.  I checked my pathing and sure enought, /usr/sbin/ was not pathed on this system as it is for all the systems that we had managed...  After fixing the pathing and rerunning the install, it worked properly.  I have not yet tested the install from the "install_client_files" push yet, but i don't doubt that will work as well... 

I would think that the script should check to see if pkgadd exists in the path and if it doesnt display an error message that states this..  The error messages that if had displayed were pretty vague in troubleshooting..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav21
Level 4

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know it does not list the pkgname on solaris on a client install.

Even removal of netbackup is also done by removing the directory and entries from config files.

Have you tried below from the install guide.

Upgrading clients after servers are upgraded

The update_clients installation script lets you push client software to clients.
It does not let you push client software to a remote client that is also a NetBackup
media or master server. You cannot push software this way because the server
software and client binaries must be of the same version on a single host.
The update_clients installation script can determine the full client list that is
configured on the server. When it is run without any parameters, it attempts to

update all clients (as determined by
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients). If you do not want to
upgrade all clients, you can specify a subset of clients. Use the hardware type and
operating system parameters or use the -ClientList parameter.

You can run update_clients from a media server. The -ClientList parameter
is required in this situation. The script lets you maintain a media server and a set
of clients at an earlier release level than the master server. Doing so requires the
informed use of the update_clients -ClientList command on a master server
and a media server to avoid unwanted client upgrades.

ebodykid
Level 4

I do know that on the one system that i was able to sucessfully upgrade, it does list the packages on that system (using pkginfo).  In thinking about it though, i know seem to think i might have read somewhere that this was a change with 7.0 or 7.1 where they are Solaris packages again, so you might be on to something..  

The exact error that i am getting is:

Unpacking SYMCnbclt package.

<output snipped>

x SYMCnbclt/install, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x SYMCnbclt/install/checkinstall, 3519 bytes, 7 tape blocks
x SYMCnbclt/install/copyright, 65 bytes, 1 tape blocks
x SYMCnbclt/install/depend, 52 bytes, 1 tape blocks
x SYMCnbclt/install/preremove, 2165 bytes, 5 tape blocks
x .pkg_defaults, 151 bytes, 1 tape blocks

== Checking for pre-existing package ==
package SYMCnbclt is not installed

========= Installing package ==========
client_config_failed

so my assumption was that it was failing because the package wasnt installed... but that may be a false assumption..

ebodykid
Level 4

I found the solution and it was so stupid, it is almost embarassing to give it..  But after running the install a couple more times using the full 7.1 Client install tar.gz and looking line by line at the trace file, i came across a line that said "./cp_to_client: pkgadd: not found".  Seeing this, it sent me towards looking to see why pkgadd was not found.  I checked my pathing and sure enought, /usr/sbin/ was not pathed on this system as it is for all the systems that we had managed...  After fixing the pathing and rerunning the install, it worked properly.  I have not yet tested the install from the "install_client_files" push yet, but i don't doubt that will work as well... 

I would think that the script should check to see if pkgadd exists in the path and if it doesnt display an error message that states this..  The error messages that if had displayed were pretty vague in troubleshooting..