cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client license

Gaurav21
Level 4

Hi,

need to get some clarity on client license.

1) if I am backing up database of one client. I will count it as one DB client, but willl I also consider it as a standard client also.

2) if I am backing up one client in two policies will that be in any case considered as one client or two clients ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Gaurav21
Level 4

xxx clients(xxx unique clients), This is what I see in the client list, which one would be the standard client count. first one or the unique clients ??

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Count only unique clients. Even if you have more than one hostname for a client, it is still one client.

If you have a 2-node cluster, you will backup 3 client names: node1, node2 (local drives) and the virtual hostname (shared data). You only need 2 standard client licenses.

If you have a SUN M9000 with 6 hosts on the same footprint, you still need only one standard client license for the one server.

Gaurav21
Level 4

What about database clients, if I am only backing up DB, will I count it using a DB license & also a standard client license ?

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Any document or Note which describes various licenses and its limit etc.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Database client needs Client license as well as Database license.

Unfortunately the NBU licensing guide is only available to Symantec staff and their partners/resellers.

There is this short note in the NBU for Oracle Guide:

The server that hosts the Oracle database must be a NetBackup client. It must also have NetBackup for Oracle licensed.

austin_lazanows
Level 4
Certified

They are correct that you need only one netbackup client license no matter how many policies the client is listed in. However, you ONLY need the database license if you plan to use the netbackup database agent for that database vendor. If you are currently doing an RMAN dump to disk (or the equivalent in SQL, Sybase, informix, etc) and using netbackup to pick up the dump file for backup, then you do not need the database agent license.