cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client side dedup confusion

MartinR1
Level 3

I am confused. I have a number of clients in my environment some will dedup on the client side and some will fail with an 83 error. In the dedup guide it states that ports 10082 and 10102 have to be open between the hosts and the media servers.

These ports are not open anywhere on the environment yet some clients are happliy deduping on the client side but most aren't.

can anyone elaborate on this?

6 REPLIES 6

MartinR1
Level 3

In addition I have tried to telnet the ports 10082 and 10102 from the MSDP media server to the client and there is no connection - yet client side dedup is working - why is this? Does anyone know why? 7.7 dedup guide say these ports need to be open for client side dedup to work yet it is working for some clients and the ports sre definitley not open.

This is very confusing.

Thanks

f_buirey
Level 3
Partner Accredited
These ports mus be opened from client to MediaServer 10102 is for Deduplication Manager and 10082 is for Deduplication Engine. 1) Check that firewall on W2K12 client is stopped or allow these ports to communicate. 2) Check DNS entries in direct and reverse zone
Frederic Buirey

I know the guide says that - the ports are not open I cannot telnet the client from the media server on them. Yet as I say it is working for some clients and not for others?

Why will client side dedup work (on some clients) when these ports are closed?

Thanks

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

please provide some more informations.

- Which clients work, which not? Same Policy? same IP Network? With or without accelerator?

- Did you check on working Backups that  really client-side-dedup happens ? (Job details)

- How did you setup clients in Master server? Prefer to use client-side deduplication or Always use client-side deduplication.

- are the clients in the sam network using the same name for Dedup-storage-server like master do ?

If your problems root-cause are really the ports, why not open then and see what happens. This may not explain the behavior but solve your problem.

ciao

tunix2k

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree. If you have not explicitly enabled Client-side dedupe for each of the clients, then you are performing media server dedupe.

Marianne,

I have specifically enabled 'always use client side deup' in client attributes on properties of master server.

I know that client side dedup is running as I get in job details "Using OpenStorage client direct to backup from client"

When I logonto media server telnet <client> 10082 , connection refused

telnet <client> 10102 , connection refused

telnet <client> 1556 = connected.

Dedup guide is very clear 10102 and 10082 have to be open for client side dedup yet they aren't in my environment and I'm still able to run a client side dedup job.

It's very confusing.