cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client to send backup data directly to NAS, skipping the media server?

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Hi all,

This is really just out of curiosity.

In a "traditional" Netbackup environment, a client sends the data to be backed up to a media server, then the media server forwards that data to the final destination storage device, and updates the master server catalog.
The storage device could be a tape library, NAS, disk array, Puredisk, OpenStorage devices, etc. So far so good.

Now, I understand that with a PureDisk storage device, the data path "client --> media server --> final destination" no longer applies, and becomes the following:
The client sends it's data to be backed up, directly to the PureDisk storage device via lan, and somehow updates the master catalog about it.
In other words, The backup traffic goes directly to the final destination, skipping the media server in the process, but the master catalog somehow still gets updated.
(I could be totally wrong with the above. Still lots of reading to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Another similar thing could be seen happening with NDMP-direct-copy backups:
When a backup job starts, the NAS storage sends its data directly to tape, without having to go through a media server. And (by the magic of NDMP!) the master catalog gets updated about the whole thing.

With the above observation, I started wondering about whether the same is possible when the final storage destination is a NAS:
Is it possible, that when a backup job starts, the backup traffic comes out of a client via lan, and goes directly to the NAS storage without having to go through a media server, and then the master catalog gets updated about it?
For simplicity, lets assume that everything are on the same, single subnet.

So this:
Client --> Media Server --> NAS

Becomes this:
Client --> NAS

Is this technically possible?
I'm really just interested in the technical feasibility of this idea, but I would appreciate if it turns out that "it could be done, but let's not, because bad business strategy, etc".

Thanks for your time,

RLeon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NDMP acts as atype of media server - the filer is sent NDMP commands which makes it dump directly to tape - doesnt work for disk - you can only do NDMP to disk using remote NDMP - which passes through the Media Server.

PureDisk does have the capability via its own plugins to write from the client directly to the pool but that is more of a plugin than a NetBackup capability.

As NetBackup is an Enterprise solution it is designed to backup many clients simultaneously so doing that to a NAS unit would not be a great idea.

If you want clients to run their own backups directly to a NAS device then get Backup Exec or Backup Exec System Recovery (or is it called live state or something again!?)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Not possible I am afraid

You can send the data to the NAS if the Media Servers Storage Unit was on the NAS but it would still pass through the Media Server on its way

Sorry

#EDIT# That is almost an NT backup sort of thing - if you take the Media Server out of the equation you also remove it for restores - so you would not have the ability to rre-direct restores and would have to try and take ownership of the images for any other client to use them

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

I am strictly talking about having this feature in a standard client.
I am fully aware that if the "client" in my examples gets upgraded to become an "Enterprise Client", the whole thing would work.
But that's "cheating" :)
An "Enterprise Client" is really a media server in its core.

What I'm trying to get at, is if this feature is technically trivial to implement in a STANDARD client, then why haven't they done it already?

RLeon

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Mark,

Can you confirm if what I said about PureDisk and NDMP are both correct?

If this feature is already being used in other areas, then why isn't it being used between standard clients and NAS?

On what you said about doing restores, I was thinking that the following solution sounds simple enough to implement?
If such kind of backups are done, then the Master server (or a pre-designated media server) has ownership of all of the client's images.
Then for the restore, it can be done the "traditional" way of NAS --> Media Server --> Client.

Thanks,

RLeon

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

NDMP acts as atype of media server - the filer is sent NDMP commands which makes it dump directly to tape - doesnt work for disk - you can only do NDMP to disk using remote NDMP - which passes through the Media Server.

PureDisk does have the capability via its own plugins to write from the client directly to the pool but that is more of a plugin than a NetBackup capability.

As NetBackup is an Enterprise solution it is designed to backup many clients simultaneously so doing that to a NAS unit would not be a great idea.

If you want clients to run their own backups directly to a NAS device then get Backup Exec or Backup Exec System Recovery (or is it called live state or something again!?)

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Mark,

Thanks for your input.

What I take away is that this feature is definately possible (even lower graded products support it!), it is just not implemented in the Netbackup standard client context. This decision is not based on technical limitations.

I agree that, in a large enviornment with many standard clients, it would not be a good idea to bombard the NAS like that. But it would be nice if Netbackup gives me this option to choose whether I would like to do it this way for a selected few standard clients.

(I know this is what the Enterprise Client is capable of, and my 2nd post covers my view on that...)

Thanks,

RLeon

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You can always put it on the suggested enhancement section (but I doubt this will ever come in NetBackup):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/ideas

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Thanks for the idea, but I agree with your doubt.

RLeon