cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud catalyst with NetBackup 8.3

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi
I understand that NetBackup 8.3 includes the ability to configure cloud catalyst functionality within the media server. My question is does this still require the creation and use of an msdp pool for local backups or can the cloud catalyst cache location now be targeted directly by the backup policy for backup directly to the cloud?
If I need an msdp pool as a ‘landing’ area for local backups does it need to be sized to be able to hold at least one full backup of all my data?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pats_729
Level 6
Employee
Hi
You can do either way...

Create a disk pool and a storage unit using the cloud storage and back up the data directly to that cloud storage.

OR

Create a disk pool and a storage unit using the cloud storage. Back up the data to the local MSDP storage server and then do an optimized deduplication to duplicate the data to the cloud storage.

Check the release notes
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/103228346-138966007-0/v141938340-138966007?profile...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pats_729
Level 6
Employee
Hi
You can do either way...

Create a disk pool and a storage unit using the cloud storage and back up the data directly to that cloud storage.

OR

Create a disk pool and a storage unit using the cloud storage. Back up the data to the local MSDP storage server and then do an optimized deduplication to duplicate the data to the cloud storage.

Check the release notes
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/103228346-138966007-0/v141938340-138966007?profile...

As @pats_729 says, you can do it either way. The thing to remember is that which ever way you go, you will require a local cache on the media server (so some TB of storage). 

This can either be a dedicated cache or it can utilise a local MSDP area. 

If it was me, I'd go with local MSDP, and a second cloud based MSDP (not everything necessarily needs to be duplicated to the cloud).