Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustered NetBackup Master Server Windows 2012

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

1. I've been told to avoid WIndows clustered master servers because "they don't work". What's your experiences?
  2. I understand that in a cluster, each member node can be an individual media server. I'm interested in this approach because I can get the passive Master node to do some work. Is there anything I should watch out for when setting this configuration up?
  3. Ignoring point 2, if I set up an active/passive master/media cluster does the media server element fail over between nodes?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For a clustered master server, the device config is linked to the node name.

The reason for this is that device addresses are different on the individual nodes in most cases.

For this reason, run the device config wizard on the active node, failover, then run the wizard again.

The Storage Unit will be configured with Virtual hostname.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: Clustered Master server on Win2012 is not yet supported. Windows 2012 client and non-clustered master server is supported as 7.5.0.6. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126902.

2: Netbackup master server clusters are active/passive. Clustering a media server is not supported.

3: No. There is no media server element as such - it a "pure" master server.

Clustering a master server adds complexity and sources of mis-configuration that don't exist on non-clustered master servers. But i would not say "they don't work". It sound a little like FUD to me :)

Marianne

My 2c:

1. As per Nicolai's post - W2012 master server will only be supported in NBU 7.6.  Clustered master server works. On Windows and Unix/Linux.

2. Member nodes can not be an individual media server. Active/passive only.

3. Master server can be master/media server. I prefer this configuration because the robot control host is now highly available. If master is pure master only with all media server components on seperate server(s), the robot control host becomes single point of failure.
Master server as media server and robot control host needs device wizard to be run on active node, followed by failover to 2nd node and run device config wizard again.  See 
Device configuration guidelines in NetBackup Clustered Master Server Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5184

All you need to know is in this guide - requirements as well as detailed steps.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Thanks both, really appreciate the replies. I should have mentioned I'm going to be using 7.6 so 2012 is in scope.

I've read in the Cluster Admin guide the following:

For a NetBackup media server failover configuration, configure devices from the NetBackup master server with the active node name as the NetBackup media server name.

I'm not sure I entirely understand what this is getting at. To failover a service between nodes wouldn't the cluster name be used?

Thanks

Marianne

For a clustered master server, the device config is linked to the node name.

The reason for this is that device addresses are different on the individual nodes in most cases.

For this reason, run the device config wizard on the active node, failover, then run the wizard again.

The Storage Unit will be configured with Virtual hostname.

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Got it. I read that in the manual but didn't put the two pieces of information together. Thanks Marianne.