cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command to remotely restart Media Management services

Chrisw74
Level 2

What is the command to restart Media Management services for a media server? Like you would find under:

NetBackup Console > Media and Device Management > Device > Media Servers > MediaServer1 (right click) > Stop and Start Media Manager Device Daemon.

We have a misbehaving media server we are working on (with Veritas case) but in the meantime I'd like to just monitor the vmoprcmd status and then issue a restart of the daemon if it goes offline for tape. If I only knew what the command was... 

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid
<wait a bit>

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid -v to restart

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@mph999 

I think those commands must be run locally on each media server, right?

Any idea about the command that Java GUI runs when it is done from the Console?
My guess is that it will be something that could be found in undocumented vmoprcmd -Q output?

Oh! I think I found it:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Configure-Tape-Devices/td-p/536314/page/2

vmoprcmd -Q

-startltid
Start ltid. This option is used by java.
-stopltid
Stop ltid. This option is used by java.

You should be able to combine this with -h <media server>

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh, sorry - yes those commands would be run on the media server

Well I've learnt something, didn't know vmoprcmd  could restart ltid .....

pats_729
Level 6
Employee
I guess these commands can be found out from logs. Create “admin” and “bpjava-msvc” on Master server no need to put high verbose. verbose 2 would be sufficient.

And try the ltid restart you should see the commands in either of the log files.

Don’t forget to turn off the logging after the use.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

If your environment happens to be Windows, you can leverage PowerShell to start and stop the NetBackup services

Invoke-Command -ComputerName your_media_server -ScriptBlock {& 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpdown.exe' -v -f}

Invoke-Command -ComputerName your_media_server -ScriptBlock {& 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpup.exe' -v -f}

To specifically stop media manager use stopltid and then ltid to start under C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin

X2
   VIP   

@Tape_Archived I used to do that in our environment till they disabled PSRemoting for improving security! But there are still things one can do from the master server. I have already added the above command @Marianne suggested.