cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command to set NetBackup services to auto start in Windows

flippinmango24
Level 3

I'm running NBU 7.0.1 Enterprise Server. Is there a command to set the services to auto start at boot? Currently, they're all set to start manually. I would've thought that bpup would've had an option switch to address that but, apparently not. I really want to avoid having to use the Windows Services MMC to individually change the ~15-20 related services manually.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

sc can change the start mode of a service

Be aware that not all Netbackup services should be automatic if you not using all the features

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Go into services (from Run-> services.msc)

Find the NetBackup daemons and highlight, right click and goto Properties. Change Startup Type from Manual to Automatic. It's only a few services and once done should not need doing again!!

On installation it is set to Automatic by default.

I've attached a snippet of the NetBackup Services I have set to Auto-Start.

Click both images to open them up (one is for NBU Services and the other for Symantec PBX Service)

flippinmango24
Level 3

Thank you kindly for the reply, revarooo. I know how to manually change the setting but, I'm looking for a quicker, more streamlined method via the native NBU command-line set. Does a command option exist or can this only be done manually?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

How about create a batch file to start up NetBackup: "C:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bpup -f"

and add it to the Windows Startup under Start -> All Programs -> Startup. Not recommended, I'd stick with using the services. Is there any reason you don't want to use the Windows Services?

flippinmango24
Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I was looking for something quicker and could just be executed w/ a single command syntax. Again, the reason I don't want to use the Services MMC is because, it's slow and cumbersome to make those changes, especially in a troubleshooting situation, etc.

Thank you again for your assistance! Much appreciated!

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

sc can change the start mode of a service

Be aware that not all Netbackup services should be automatic if you not using all the features

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Single command syntax -

Start: bpup -f -v 

Stop: bpdown -f -v

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Someone in your environment went through the trouble to change each service one by one to manual. There is no command or magic to change it all back to automatic in one go.

flippinmango24
Level 3

This only starts and stops the services, but does not change the startup type.

flippinmango24
Level 3

Thanks, Michael. I was looking for a native NBU command-line option that could do that but, it would seem that there isn't one and this is the next best option. For anyone that needs/wants to know, this is what I used:

'sc config {ServiceKeyName} start= {auto | demand}'

{ServiceKeyName} = name of the NetBackup service

flippinmango24
Level 3

Correct, it was me, which lead me to my question. It would be nice feature request/product enhancement though.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The only reason why NBU services should be in manual mode is when under control of a cluster. When NBU is installed in cluster mode, the installation process will automatically set all services to manual. If for any other reason you choose to change services to manual, then you need to go through the same steps to set them to automatic again.