cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete Newbie Question!

mark0vens
Level 2
Hi,

As you'll guess from this question, I'm a total newbie when it comes to Netbackup. 
We've recently installed Netbackup 6.5 (standard) in our company.  We have a Windows 2003 master server.
We've just started a project which involves Red Hat Linux Servers.

My very simple question is.......Can we backup the Linux servers via the Windows master server ? 

I have googled this and can't seem to find a simple yes or no answer....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Mark
9 REPLIES 9

rjrumfelt
Level 6
You can.  Just as you can back up Windows clients via a Unix master server.

Just make sure that when you are setting up your Linux policy, to use "Standard" as the policy type.  You'll want to do this for any Unix client you back up.

mark0vens
Level 2
Thanks for that, so there's no need for another media server or anything ?  Just install the Linux client and off you go ??

Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
That's how it's supposed to work - but sometimes that little bit (client install) can be a little more trouble than expected! ;)

rjrumfelt
Level 6
:)

Its been my expeience that with Linux, there's always some rpm you need to install that you do not currently have, depending on what version of 6.5.x you're installing. 

As far as the media server is concerned - depends on the size of your environment, can you're master server handle the load alone?  There have been more than several threads created in this forum on the question of "When do I need to add a/another media server," so a quick search will probably give you more information that you wish to read.

JoeH
Level 3
We have a Windows Master and Windows Media servers and we backup AIX, Linux, Solaris, and even had an RS6000 one time.  It works very well.

Be sure to keep an eye on the Symantec Support site for NetBackup to keep up with updates.  Some issues you can run into many times are because you just load the released version of a client and not the patches (I have been there and done that and a few hours of debugging later, the ah ha moment hits).  There is usually a seperate Unix clients patch download that you need to look for which is different than Windows where everything usually comes in one BIG patch update.

Welcome to NetBackup

mark0vens
Level 2
Guys,

Thanks for all your help/information - I'm on a course in 4 weeks - but that's 2 weeks after it all goes live !!

Cheers

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Hope it all goes well & enjoy the course!

You know where we are if things start to go awry......

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
by the way Does anyone have some course material?

I'm Trying to study using the whint pappers.. that is very diffivult because there is no line (in portuguese thinking line - some like a history)

I have some EMC material 

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I know people harp on the documentation, but the guides from Symantec do a pretty good job to get someone started, just start reading them (they are dry, I won't lie) until your courses. They are lengthy, but NBU is a very in-depth product, and the rewards can be in-depth as well.