cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completing integrity on tapes

Liffeyman
Level 3

Folks,

Im new to NBU and need to complete monthly integrity tests from the tapes to confirm that data is recoverable.

When I go into Backup, Archive, and Restore and I can complete the restore successfully but there is no way for me to specify the tape to restore from. 

Can someone help me here

Many thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It depends on which of the 3 methods in TECH64592  you have used.

If you do not want to promote tape copies to primary permanently, do not use point 2 in the TN.

If you decide to use option 1 to specify the copy number with bprestore command, there is nothing to do afterwards.

If you create the ALT_RESTORE_COPY_NUMBER 'touchfile' in step 3, remember to delete the file once test restores are done.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
NetBackup does not index backups by media id, but by Client name and then by date. So, all browse and restore requests need to be done for Client name and date range. The actual test is to verify that you can restore Client backups, right? If you need to know which client backups are on which media-id, you can use Images on media report.

Liffeyman
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Thanks so much for your fast response, I realize that its done by the Client name, rather then the media ID. But what im trying to achieve/prove, is that the media selected when restoring the file is in-fact coming from a tape backup, rather then disk.

Is there a way to force NBU to recover the file/s from a tape in the Backup, Archive, and Restore application. Or am i looking in the wrong place

Many thanks

Paul

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can tell it to restore from Copy 1 or Copy 2

By default it will restore from the 'primary' copy.

Either copy1/ or 2 can be set to be primary.

Easy way, is just to look in details tab of activity monitor for the job, you will see the media used listed near the top.

Marianne

Here's a TN:

How to restore from a different copy of the backup
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64592

Liffeyman
Level 3

Thanks all, i think this should do me. Just one last question. When im finished with the restore and want to place the media back to Copy 2. How do i go about completing this

Many thanks again for all you help

Paul

Marianne

It depends on which of the 3 methods in TECH64592  you have used.

If you do not want to promote tape copies to primary permanently, do not use point 2 in the TN.

If you decide to use option 1 to specify the copy number with bprestore command, there is nothing to do afterwards.

If you create the ALT_RESTORE_COPY_NUMBER 'touchfile' in step 3, remember to delete the file once test restores are done.

Liffeyman
Level 3

Hi all,

Again, thanks for all the help. I ended up going to Step 3. and creating the ALT_RESTORE_COPY_NUMBER file. Worked a treat!!

Cheers
Paul