Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressed RMAN backup and DeDup?

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

Hello.

My next question ...

Is it for Netbackup possible to DeDup a compressed RMAN/Oracle backup, or not?

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How does RMAN compress data ? Is it key or row compression. Is it zlib type ?

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

The simple answer is not it is not possible to. Especially if you multiplez and use multiple channels. Been there done that.

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

@Nicolai -> Our DBA says the Oracke Exadata compress the data and send it to the netbackup ......

@Wolfsbane -> Thx

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

my understanding is that RMAN will uncompress data before sending data to Netbackup (that is what my DBA tell me). You will however need to set RMAN MAXFILESPERSET=1 to obtain a really good de-dupe factor.

teiva-boy
Level 6

My understanding is that ExaData uses a compressed database that is run in memory and flash.  One of Oracle's claims is to reduce storage consumption by 10x.

That said, the RMAN outputs are pre-compressed, and cannot be deduped.  You could do a table export, but that would be slower.  Best to just stream the database directly to tape or plain disk.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There may be diffrent Oracle ExaData configurations. I just check our Oracle ExaData cluste and I am seeing a 69% dedupe ratio with a backup size of 1.3TB.

We use FILEPERSET=1

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5
@Nicolai Are all Exadata backups in your DeDup area? Or do you stage it to the tape? And how much backup sets are in your DeDup area?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

All data go to a PDDO (Symc5020). No data go to tape (YES!!!).

Currently holding  6465349888KB of Oracle data. Retension is 1 month and went in production some weeks ago.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

On thing more my DBA told me

Compression require a additional license from Oracle.

If the RMAN output was "unique" compare to other RMAN backup it wold not be possible to clone or disaster restore to a non ExaData box.