cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration files

wannawin
Level 6

What are the important configuration files in netbackup and their functions. Can someone explain plz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't tell if you are on UNIX or Windows. I assume UNIX.

You will most often look/edit :

bp.conf - Netbackup configuration file

vm.conf - Volume manager configuration file 

But you really can't pick one single file and call that the most important file. In Netbackup the EMM database plays a major role since a lot of processes like NBRB,NBPM and NBJM use this database extensive. You can't even start Netbackup is EMM isn't up and running in a healthy state.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't tell if you are on UNIX or Windows. I assume UNIX.

You will most often look/edit :

bp.conf - Netbackup configuration file

vm.conf - Volume manager configuration file 

But you really can't pick one single file and call that the most important file. In Netbackup the EMM database plays a major role since a lot of processes like NBRB,NBPM and NBJM use this database extensive. You can't even start Netbackup is EMM isn't up and running in a healthy state.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wannawin Nicolais answer is spot on.

Additionally..

If you want to capture a lot of your configuration, I suggest running the 'nbsu' utility on your master. (it can also be run on media servers and clients)

Can give you a good 'documentation' of your environment. And good for reference, as this is what Symantec might use for an outside look at config.

See my signature for more on it.

I have even started using it on servers that are NOT got NetBackup on it. Check it out.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to previous excellent posts - configuration files on new installation will have only couple of lines in them as the default configuration will be used.

Important to understand what can be configured and WHY... NBU works well with default config. There should be a very good reason for changing parameters - e.g you experience a problem and support tells you to make a change or you find recommendation in a TN or on this forum.

To understand more about WHAT can be configured, read through Configuring hosts chapter in Admin Guide II.

As far as vm.conf is concerned, you can find info in Admin Guide II.

Reading documentation and understanding how bits and pieces fit together is more imporatant than being concerned about individual config files...