cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure MSDP disk storage server fails with STS error: UpdateStorageServerConfig

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

a newly installed NBU server on Win 2008 with the latest maintanance release installed, with master and media server on the same machine is generating this error during MSDP pool configuration:

system call failed. RDMS has encountered an STS error: UpdateStorageServerConfig

also event viewer is registering the event

The description for Event ID 1 from source spad cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted

and

The description for Event ID 1 from source spoold cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.

The procesess spoold and spad cannot start and it seems that the contentrouter.cfg file is somehow wrong. although it is, as I said, a fresh installation.

I'm trying to create a deduplication location on the E: partition of the same server. It creates there some folders during this configuration wizard, but still fails with the above mentioned error.

I've tried deinstallation, cleanin the registry, but no progress. I think my licenses are fine as well.

Thanks in advance,

Jana

8 REPLIES 8

Jaykullar
Level 5

Have you got anything from the spoold log when trying to start the service?

What licences do you have?

How far have you go in the configuration wizard for MSDP?

Symantec do advise against having MSDP on your Master Server. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO61249

PeteWall
Level 4
Employee

The pdde-config.log logfile inside of E:\<dedupe storage path>\log\pdde-config.log may have some hints as to why the configuration failed.

If you find errors in there, let me know and I'll try and help determine the problem.

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You can also run PDDE_deleteConfig.bat (under program files\veritas\pdde) after deleting the configuration to make sure that all the puredisk configuration gets deleted.

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I've seen the recommendation regarding the performance impact, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I looked in the log file, there is where I've seen these problems:

Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.28 Deleting NBU marker...
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.28 "E:\Deduplication"\databases\catalog\2\NBU_PD_MARKER doesn't exist.
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.28 "E:\Deduplication"\databases\catalog\2\NBU_PD_MARKER doesn't exist.
        1 file(s) copied.
Warning: 25002: __openReaderA: could not open file E:\Deduplication\etc\puredisk\contentrouter.cfg
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.31 Hostname and Ip are updated.
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.33 Original SPA id is 1266.
The operation completed successfully.

Error: 25002:
BadValue : (none)
File     : E:\Deduplication\etc\puredisk\contentrouter.cfg
Section  : SSL
Entry    : PrivateKeyFilename
Reason   : Expected a non-empty value.
Error: 25002:
BadValue : (none)
File     : E:\Deduplication\etc\puredisk\contentrouter.cfg
Section  : SSL
Entry    : CertFilename
Reason   : Expected a non-empty value.
Fatal Error: 25004: Configuration errors were detected in E:\Deduplication\etc\puredisk\contentrouter.cfg.
Please correct and try again.
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.36 ERR: spoold.exe --test failed, existing storage is invalid.
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.36 An error has occured while attempting to configure.  Aborting...
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.38 An error has occured while attempting to configure.  Aborting...
Thu 04/25/2013 16:48:09.38 Stopping services...

Error: 67: Database: connection to database crdb at localhost:5432 failed (could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Error: 53: Database Manager: could not access storage database (connection actively refused).
Error: 4: Failed to run database class
Error: 4: Failed to read startup mode

The wizard takes me through creating storage server, adding credentials, and when it's time to configure the pool the storage server error appears.

I have PureDisk Option, and PureDisk Remote Office licenses installed, with a capacity of 1TB. I suppose these licenses are the ones that are needed for deduplication.

Regards

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

has anyone any idea what could be the problem here?

Don_Cadman_II
Level 2
Employee

Please check the pdde_config.log located within the <dedup_path>\log directory for error activity similar to the following:

Retrieving contentrouter.cfg from spad...
Calling pdregister with configfile action...
INFO  (3136): Getting Configuration file.
INFO  (3136): Configuration file retrieval successful.
ERROR (3136): An error occurred: no records returned by the server
ERR: "C:\Program Files\Veritas\pdde\pdregister.exe" failed: 1
An error has occured while attempting to configure.  Aborting...

If you do not see the above error activity, we may need further information. Please see 'Creating a tpcommand log' below.

If you see the above, the contentrouter.cfg file may be corrupt. If you have another MSDP media server of the same NBU version configured within the environment, you could try copying the contentrouter.cfg file from that server onto the affected MSDP media server and retrying the storage server creation wizard again after a proper decommission of the MSDP services. Instructions are included below.  If you do not have another MSDP media server in the environment, you may need to reinstall NBU on the media server.

Decommission the previous MSDP installation attempt
Reference: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150431

1) Remove the NDMP option for the media server from EMM with the following command:
<install_path>\Veritas\Netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename <msdp_storage_server_name> -machinetype ndmp
*The storage server name should be the same as the media server in which you are attempting to configure the MSDP services.

2) Execute the PDDE_deleteConfig script to remove the MSDP configurations
<install_path>\Veritas\pdde\PDDE_deleteConfig.bat

3) From the MSDP host media server and all media servers that have credentials defined for the disk pool, remove the following file if it exists:
<install path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\ost-plugins\<STORAGE_SERVER>.cfg

4) Delete all folders created within the Deduplication storage path (spool, log, queue,processed, data, etc) and if you specified to install the Database on a seperate partition, delete all folders within the Deduplication database path.

Creating a tpcommand log

we will need a tpcommand log to see if we can determine why the creation is failing. Under <install_path>\veritas\volmgr , if a debug folder does not exist create one. Within the debug folder, create a tpcommand folder.

Rerun the storage server configuration and provide errors from the log that is produced under <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\debug\tpcommand

Regards

jploui
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Im sitting with the same issue.

Did you manage to get it working/created?

Doesnt seem like the bloggers were of any help?

jploui
Level 4
Partner Accredited

my fix,

cant use just a drive letter as the dedupe storage path.

It has to be for example E:\DB.