cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Tape Devices

milanda
Level 4

Hi,

Can anyone share how to configure tape devices from the master server for media servers ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  1. Ensure devices are visible and usable at OS level on media servers (use 'scan' command).
  2. Check that correct license keys are added to media servers:
    Enterprise Server (to allow backup of network clients) or Enterprise Client (to backup only itself)
    Library Based Tape Drive license
    If drives are shared, Shared Storage Option license
  3. Verify comms between master and media servers. Run these commands on the master:
    a) nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
    Check output for each media server. Ensure all media servers show 'Active for disk and tape'
    b) nbemmcmd -getemmserver
    Verify that Master is listed as EMM server on all media servers
  4. Run Device Config wizard on Master server.

See NBU Admin Guide I for more info.
Links to all NBU manuals can be found in 'Handy NBU links' in my signature.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
  1. Ensure devices are visible and usable at OS level on media servers (use 'scan' command).
  2. Check that correct license keys are added to media servers:
    Enterprise Server (to allow backup of network clients) or Enterprise Client (to backup only itself)
    Library Based Tape Drive license
    If drives are shared, Shared Storage Option license
  3. Verify comms between master and media servers. Run these commands on the master:
    a) nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
    Check output for each media server. Ensure all media servers show 'Active for disk and tape'
    b) nbemmcmd -getemmserver
    Verify that Master is listed as EMM server on all media servers
  4. Run Device Config wizard on Master server.

See NBU Admin Guide I for more info.
Links to all NBU manuals can be found in 'Handy NBU links' in my signature.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If tape devices and its drivers are configured correctly on media servers, no complecated steps are needed. Just start Device Configuration Wizard on GUI.

For more detail about configuring devices and drivers on media server, please check Device Configuration Guide of your own version. Or, tell us more detail about your environment like OS version, device models, bus type(Parallel SCSI/SAS/FC/iSCSI...).

milanda
Level 4

Thanks Van,

But I need to do it using command line. Is there any way ?

sksujeet
Level 6

Make sure these are visible on the OS first. If you are using SSO make sure the zoning is done correctly between master/media/library and drives. Once done you simply run the device configuration wizard on Master server.

sksujeet
Level 6

You could do it easily using GUI but for very big environment where it gets stuck or takes time you can use the command which does the same thing

vmoprcmd -h <media-server-name> -timeout 3600 -autoconfig  -a

milanda
Level 4

Thanks Sazz.. it worked...

JFI what does "-timeout 3600" switch do..?

milanda
Level 4

Also any way to start the mm services on media from master... (command line plz)

Marianne
Level 6
Why can you not use the GUI? You can install Java or Windows Admin Console on your desktop.

milanda
Level 4

Yes Van... but the GUI session gets hung usually and to restart the media server services would be mandatory if I configure the tape devices for Media Server... and to avoid logging into each and every media server I need to know if it can be done using CLI from the master it self.  :D

Marianne
Level 6

Look at options in these undocumented vmoprcmd switches:

vmoprcmd -Q

-startltid
      Start ltid.  This option is used by java.
  -stopltid
      Stop ltid.  This option is used by java.

You should be able to combine this with -h <media server>

By the way - '-timeout' is simply extending timeout when going out to media server to scan and config. This is why command is more successful than GUI where timeout of 300 sec cannot be extended.
No need to make it that much - this is how I was given command example and how I've been posting the command here (and everyone else copied from me...).

milanda
Level 4

Thanks Van...!!