cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure backups for clustered SQL

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello,

I want to configure backups for an SQL cluster (on WSFC). I installed the agent on both SQL nodes and saw the instances in NBU console. The same instance is visible 3 times. The first via node1, the second via node2 and the third time via the virtual cluster name. Registration via node1 and node2 is successful. However, registration via the virtual name returns an error (cannot connect to client <virtual name>).

I checked the following guide: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/17221771-126559330-0/v115886395-126559330.

In the above link, I found "4- Manually add a new instance and register it. For the Host, provide the private interface name of the virtual SQL Server (virtsql-NB)." I do not understand what is the private interface name. What do they mean by that?

Also, is the procedure in the above link correct to configure backup for an SQL cluster (on WSFC)?

We have NBU 8.1.2.

Thanking you in advance and have a nice day!

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @me-ver-91 

Please have a look at the heading on this page:

Configuring backups of a SQL Server cluster when you have multiple NICs

So, this means that a private network on a different vlan or subnet is in place for backups.
Can we assume that you do not have a private backup network in place?

If you download the entire manual, it is just easier to read and search the pdf doc. 

Have a look at these topics in Chapter 9:

■ Configuring backups of clustered SQL Server instances (SQL Server Intelligent Policy)
■ Configuring backups of clustered SQL Server instances (legacy SQL Server policies)

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the topics that you recommended. However, I still have one more question: when I register the instances from NBU console, should I register them using the physical hosts' hostnames? or using the virtual cluster name?

The NBU agent is installed on both nodes using their FQDN (physical hosts's hostnames), so when I try to register the instance via the virtual cluster name, it gives an error that it cannot connect to client <virtual name>. There is no agent installed that has the virtual cluster name.

Maybe I am missing some configuration?

Thanking you in advance!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@me-ver-91 

Any connection attempt to the virtual cluster name of the SQL Cluster Group should be directed via TCP/IP to the active node. (That is how Application and Database connections to a cluster work as well).

Can you ping the SQL virtual name from the master?
Does forward and reverse name lookup work between master and virtual name?
If that is working fine, then try to simulate a connection using bptestbpcd.

Firstly, ensure bpcd log folder exists on both cluster nodes. (We need that for troubleshooting if connection fails)
On master, run this command from CMD in admincmd folder:
bptestbpcd -client <SQL-virt-name> -verbose -debug

Please show us the output.

PS: 
On NBU 8.1.2, there may be more steps needed w.r.t. security cerificate for clustered clients.
Please have a look at this topic in the manual: 
Reviewing the auto-discovered mappings in Host Management 

Hello Marianne and thank you for your constent help.

I will try your suggestions next week (today is Friday) and reply to you the soonest.

Have a nice day!