cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure separate LAN for backup data transfer

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I have installed and configured my master server under veritas SFHA cluster. But not for my media server.

Currently I also configure 2 separate LAN connection for both master server and media server. I quiet dummy about network. 1st LAN connection is routable and the 2nd LAN connection is not routable for security issue. Is that possible to configure only backup data to use the 2nd LAN since all client server is only alowed to communicate to the media server using the 1st LAN from storage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

2nd LAN is not routeable... indicates  you can not use this LAN to recieve the data from outsite of this network.

client can only communicate though 1st LAN, so you can only use the 1st LAN for backups.

if you want to use the 2nd LAN for backup, create & configure  the IP from 2nd LAN to all clients , so that the communication between the client and Media server can happen over the 2nd LAN, and make the backups.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RamNagalla

2nd LAN is not routeable... indicates  you can not use this LAN to recieve the data from outsite of this network.

client can only communicate though 1st LAN, so you can only use the 1st LAN for backups.

if you want to use the 2nd LAN for backup, create & configure  the IP from 2nd LAN to all clients , so that the communication between the client and Media server can happen over the 2nd LAN, and make the backups.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure what the purpose of 2nd LAN is when clients do not have access to it? 

Clients push backup data to media servers over the network. If they only have access to LAN 1, the backup data cannot travel over LAN 2.

Best to draw a network diagram of what it is that you want to accomplish. Ask your Network Admins for assistance.
Once you have a picture, we can help you with the NBU side of the configuration.

Rookies
Level 4

Thanks all for reply.

I configuring VADP backup via SAN connection to the storage. If I'm not wrong, NetBackup able to backup the data direct from the storage that connected to the media server through SAN connection (not SAN media server).

Yes all client can communicate to both master and media server via 1st LAN. But since NetBackup can access to the storage through the SAN connection is that means backup data is transfer via SAN connection only without through LAN connection? Because I think I will need configure all the storage that connected to the media server using the 2nd LAN to avoid backup data transfer using the 1st LAN.

RamNagalla

when you configured the SAN transport for VADP backup, it does not matter what LAN is being used for connectivigy for Media and clients.. unless you want to use them for  Restores..

Storage is connected over the SAN not over the LAN noting to worry about it

only you need to care about it

Vcetner and ESXi hosts LAN commnication with the backup host and Master server 1st LAN or 2nd LAN

SAN connection to the Media server.

Marianne
Level 6

I agree with Nagalla.

If your config is correct, backups will be done over the SAN, not LAN.

Have a look at this excellent article:

(Netbackup) VMWare Backup over SAN

Rookies
Level 4

Thanks all for reply. Its look like 2nd LAN will be useless since only 1st LAN is use for communication between all nbu server and the client.

Scott_Austin
Level 3
Employee Certified

Required_Interface or Preferred_Network can be set on the Master and Media servers to allow NetBackup to choose the preferred network path. Also each secondary network should have it's own hostname in DNS. That hostname-bkp should be set in the client's bp.conf or registry as a SERVER entry. 

Once completed always verify these entries with bptestbpcd, ping, traceroute, nbdna, etc. Also run test backups. 

There are Tech docs on these two settings and this is also covered in the NetBackup Administrator's Guide vol 2. Also check out the Port Usage Guide.

NetBackup is a beast and will use every last drop of bandwidth and resources available.  Once the reconfiguration is completed. There will be more bandwidth to accomplish the backups and improve performance. Also this will allow production to work as intended. 

Rookies
Level 4

Thanks Scott. I just discovered this option.

Marianne
Level 6

Not actually sure why you need Required_Interface or Preferred_Network when it is clear from your previous posts that the Clients do not have access to LAN 2 and that VM backups will happen via the SAN ?? indecision

sdo
Why isn't a layer 2 LAN/VLAN supported? Surely if every device (server, clients, ESX, even guests(although technically not a requirement for guest VMs)) is in the same layer 2 subnet - be it class A, or B or C or some other /n subnet - then it doesn't need to be routable. So, for small environments, in my opinion, layer 2 is perfectly acceptable, no?

Marianne
Level 6

Why isn't a layer 2 LAN/VLAN supported?

What makes you ask this question?

I have not seen anybody mentioning anything like this?

All that the OP said was that the clients did not have access to LAN 2 (backup network).
Even this is a non-issue as backups will be done over SAN.

Rookies
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Yes you are right. But from both features we can still set up a dedicated link from any client on the 1st LAN to the specific media server on the 2nd LAN through any specific host on the 1st LAN.

sdo
My bad, I didn't read/understand the original statements properly. Sorry. :\