cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring MSDP catalog Backup

goliath_kj
Level 4

Hello all,

I'm in the midst of creating backup for MSDP catalog. I was inform that it is not covered in our daily catalog backup. I did found the guide for MSDP catalog backup but still confused.

I also found there is a Backup policy named " SYMC_NBA_Dedupe_Catalog_mssbxxx" in under Policies. What must I do first? Did tried activate, modified the policy storage and run the backup policy but failed with error code 9. Also tried to invoke drcontrol command below but failed as well.

/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/drcontrol --policy SYMC_NBA_Dedupe_Catalog_mssbxxx --residence stu_disk_mssbxxx --client mssbxxx --hardware 5230 --OS NetBackup-Appliance

drcontrol:
The NetBackup Deduplication Catalog Policy Administration and
Catalog Disaster Recovery utility.

Note: this utility must be run directly on the NetBackup Deduplication storage
server. It cannot be run remotely.

drcontrol -new_policy [-policy policy_name] [-client media_server_name] [-OS os_type] [-hardware hardware] [-residence residence]
drcontrol -update_policy -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name] [-OS os_type] [-hardware hardware]

drcontrol -list_files -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -print_space_required -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -initialize_DR -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -recover_last_image -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -refresh_shadow_catalog
drcontrol -finalize_DR -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -auto_recover_DR -policy <policy_name> [-client media_server_name]
drcontrol -cleanup

Optional args:
drcontrol -?/-h
drcontrol -help
drcontrol [-verbose] [-log_file log_file_name]

Please select exactly 1 of the following actions:
--new_policy, --update_policy, --list_files, --auto_recover_DR, --initialize_DR, --recover_last_image, --refresh_shadow_catalog, --finalize_DR, --print_space_required, --cleanup, --copyrights, --help.

Thank you

Tarmizi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

several notes:

- you should run this command connected to appliance as NetBackup Appliance CLI Administrator. have you run this so? Refer to Appliance Admin Guide how to create CLI user.

- you must run it with -new_policy or -update_policy, you are missing both. Also this parameter should be enough, the other parameters like OS will figure out the appliance instead of you

- dont place MSDP Catalog backup to MSDP, direct it to another storage unit

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

goliath_kj
Level 4

Hi all,

Forgot to mention the version

Hardware: Netbackup Appliance 5230

version: 2.7.3

*note: we will perform version upgrade soon. Therefor we need to perform this backup.

Thank you

Tarmizi

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

several notes:

- you should run this command connected to appliance as NetBackup Appliance CLI Administrator. have you run this so? Refer to Appliance Admin Guide how to create CLI user.

- you must run it with -new_policy or -update_policy, you are missing both. Also this parameter should be enough, the other parameters like OS will figure out the appliance instead of you

Regards

Michal

Kleber_Marra
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Follow my config

Hello Michal,

We do have the CLI access to the appliance as root privilege.

We will try this and update the soonest

As per testing purposes, we will put it to Advance Disk pool. Later, if this is successful, we will point it to appropiate SLP.

Thank you

Hi Michal,

After following your suggetion, this is what we do:

./drcontrol -update_policy -policy SYMC_NBA_Dedupe_Catalog_MSSBAxxx -residence stu_adv_mssbaxxx -client mssbaxxx -hardware 5230 -OS NetBackup-Appliance

Hopefuly this will help others