Server1:  passive
Server2:  active
cluster name is "APPCLUSTER"

Quorum Drive:  Q:\
2 applications running on cluster
virtual name: APP1 (ip 10.10.10.5): Shared Storage:  T:\
virtual name: APP2 (ip 10.10.10.6): Shared Storage:  U:\
local non-shared drives:  C:\, D:\

1 policy to get the local non-shared drives on both clients, with exclusions set on the client for shared drives Q:, T:, and U:\
Question 1: On the Backup Selections tab, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES or specify C:, D:, and System_State?   

2nd policy to get APP1/APP2 shared storage, backup selection specifies T:\ and U:\.  
Question 2:  On the clients tab, Do I specify virtual name: APP1 and virtual name: APP2?

Am I correct in my assumptions or is there a more efficient way?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Policy 1 is for both nodes and then use C:\ D:\ and Shadow Copy Components (not System State as that is for earlier Windows versions)  - if you use multiple streams the All_LOCAL_DRIVES can cause issues as it discovers the streams before looking at you exclusions

2. Two policies - one for APP1 (virtual name) backing up the T:\, one for APP2 backing up the U:\

If you choose to back up the Quorum you could probably use either or both nodes in another policy to back up the Q:\

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Policy 1 is for both nodes and then use C:\ D:\ and Shadow Copy Components (not System State as that is for earlier Windows versions)  - if you use multiple streams the All_LOCAL_DRIVES can cause issues as it discovers the streams before looking at you exclusions

2. Two policies - one for APP1 (virtual name) backing up the T:\, one for APP2 backing up the U:\

If you choose to back up the Quorum you could probably use either or both nodes in another policy to back up the Q:\

Hope this helps