cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring new media server on VM

Desh
Level 3

Present netbackup environment (7.1.0.4) and using physcial server in that Master is windows box and two Linux media servers and one windows media server nearly 350+ hetorginious clients backups configured on Devices EMD Datadomain and HP VLS.

We are plaing to convert physical media servers to VM's on this fist we are going to testing one media server on this build vm with same resorce physical medias servers. 

Trying to install netbackup media server on new windows VM, But it's asking License on this I have below quires. Can you please suggest and also any prerequest required.

1. Can i use existing media server license keys ? Any impact existing environment ?

2. Can i get license keys from existing linux physical media servers from bpminlicense ? In that can i add all license are any one license is sufficient ?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU 7.1? Oh dear!!!! Any plans to upgrade to a supported NBU version?

About your questions: 

1. Can i use existing media server license keys ?
Yes. provided you switch off the physical media server.

Any impact existing environment ?
No. Nothing prevents you to use license key on more than one server, but legally you are entitled to install 1 media server per license key.

2. Can i get license keys from existing linux physical media servers from bpminlicense ?
Yes.

In that can i add all license are any one license is sufficient ?
It all depends on features you are planning to use.

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Also if you have a Capacity (also know as "Platform") License and Key, then you can use the same Key on multiple systems up to the limit of your purchased entitlement. This is measured in Front-End TB and can be checked with nbdeployutil (plus any required manual adjustment).

Andrew

Thanks to all,

We got capacity info from NetBackup Deployment Utility but...

How can i find, Netbackup License is Capacity or host based ?

Incase host based License :

How can i find, how many media servers able to configure on this license?

How can i get each license for whith agent related like exchange, terradata..etc. ?

Incase Capacity based ?  I will configure existing media server licenses keys to other servers ? It will not impact existing environment right?

Marianne

You need to find your license certificate.

This is a legal document that shows what you purchased, your customer ID (for when you log Support calls) and other useful info.

If the licenses are registered in your name, you can logon to the Veritas Support site, click on Licensing, then Entitlements.

If you don't have any of these, you can ask your reseller via email to request your IBR (Install Base Report) from Veritas. 

This IBR will have all the info that you are looking for.

Mouse

You can do all of this but you need to do extra testing as well because high I/O throughput is not the best charactristic of a virtual machine, convert one and see if you can still getting the performance you need.