cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed

GopiKrishna208
Level 3

Hello All,

I am trying to install netbackup client 8.1 on one of our Linux client machine and while proceeding for authorization token it has not accepted the token and the installation failed.

Now i am trying it to degrade to netbackup client version 7.7.3 & installation is getting failed.Posted below bptestbpcd output.Please help me out how to revoke that certificate and how to proceed for 8.1 or even 7.7.3.

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(10.51.15.129) failed: 7648
<16>bptestbpcd main: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
<16>bptestbpcd main: Peer host validation failed for INSECURE connection; Peer host: 10.51.15.129, Error: 8621, Message: Connection is dropped, because the host now appears to be NetBackup 8.0 or earlier..: 7648

Thanks

Gopi Krishna

GK
13 REPLIES 13

Krutons
   VIP   

Do you have insecure communications with NetBackup 8.0 earlier hosts enabled or disabled?

Does that client appear in these places? 

Security Management->Host Management 

Security Management->Certificate Management

If it does, you need to revoke the certificate by right clicking the client name in Security Management->Certificate Management and revoke the cert.

Then you will need to right click the client name in Security Management->Host Management and 'Reset Host Atttributes'

Actually its a new client installation which came up to our end.

And yes its visible in both the locations of  Security Management->Host Management  & Security Management->Certificate Management.

If once i reset the attributes am i able to install 7.7.3 (or) 8.1,?? If yes, then which token i have to use for cilent authorization.Will it generate any new token for it or it will accept old token.Please suggest.

GK

Can any one have solution for this.

GK

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

The NBU 7.7.3 client does not use the secure communication (Certificate) with master.
So no need certificate on client
1. Decommission the client-server and certificate in master.

HowTo:
Article:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/21733320-127424841-0/v120724182-127424841

2. Then uninstall the NBU services on client. If you already uninstalled then skip this step.

3. Make entry of client and IP address in master server.

4. Install NBU 7.7.3 client package.

5. Check the bptestbpcd command output from master.

Regards,

Hello,

Performed all the steps which you have initiated in the previous post but still getting the same issue.PFB output from bptestbpcd.

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(10.51.15.129) failed: 7648
<16>bptestbpcd main: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
<16>bptestbpcd main: Peer host validation failed for INSECURE connection; Peer host: 10.51.15.129, Error: 8621, Message: Connection is dropped, because the host now appears to be NetBackup 8.0 or earlier..: 7648

GK

Krutons
   VIP   

Did you verify that you have Enable Insecure communication with NetBackup 8.0 and earlier hosts enabled?

Security Management -> Global Security Settings

Yes the option is already enabled.

GK

I am unable to reset host attributes under Security Management->Certificate Management.As the option itself is in-active state.

GK

Krutons
   VIP   

So what version is the client on right now? After you revoked the certificate and cleared host attributes in the admin console.

i am trying to install 7.7.3 but the communication is not happening.And i revoked token but unable to reset host attributes the option in hide state.

GK

Genericus
   VIP   

If it was my client, I would blow away the old one and reinstall, no real reason to backout/downgrade.

I would make a copy of any client specific stuff, like bp.conf in a safe place, them do pkgremove or linux equivalent and/or remove /opt/openv directory. 

Recreate directory and reinstall 7.7 and upgrade to 7.7.3, recopy bp.conf.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@GopiKrishna208

It seems 'something' went wrong with Security Certificate on the master during initial installation. 
Do you have any logs or actual error message for the initial failure? 
As you have experienced, trying to reinstall an older version is not fixing the problem.
(Connection is dropped, because the host now appears to be NetBackup 8.0 or earlier)

There is just not enough documentation or experience yet w.r.t. security certificates. 

My suggestion is to log a Support call with Veritas. 

As discussed with our senior support they have added own client entries on /etc/hosts and the communication issue was resolved.

Thanks for the support.

GK