cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issue with NetBackup MS SQL Client

traderjoe
Level 2

Hi All,

I am a new user of NetBackup. We have a new server (windows 2008 R2 - 64 bits) that has Microsoft SQL Server 2012 client (SSMS) and NetBackup 7.5.0.4 installed. I am trying to restore a dabase using NetBackup, however when I try to configure SQL Server Connection I am getting: "Application connection failed for <Host name>. Please select a different SQL Server host and instance" error, I am using 'sa' which has sysadmin previledges. It also appears the configuration do not recongnize the SQL Server version and is not validation the password.

When I try to run the NetBackup MS SQL client from the start menu the app. do not open.

I was told by my server administrator that the issue maybe current NetBackup version (7.5.0.4 ) may not be compatible with this 64 bits window server. Please verify if this is the case what is the solution.

We do not have this issue with Windows server 2003 x64 using SQL Server 2005.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please let me clarify.

Have you installed server instance of SQL Server in stead of SQL Server Client? It is not clear for me as you wrote "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 client".

Did you successfuly back up the databases on the instance of this client?  Are you trying restore to alternate client? Usually, we generate batch files for backup using NetBackup MS SQL Client. So if you could not connect to the instance, you could not generate batch file for the instance. Otherwise, you wrote batch file from scratch by notepad or so.

NetBackup 7.5.0.4 supports x64, i have configured backup for Windows Server 2008 R2 + SQLServer 2008 R2 clustered by MSFC, and that works.

Please check if thr host you are to configure on is SQL Server server host and you specified SQL Server host name and instance name correctly. Also check if you can access to the instance through SQL Server Management Studio with sa password.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi

Enable dbclient log on SQL Server 

Check this TECH Note

When opening the NetBackup for MS SQL Server Client Application, receiving Error: Application connection failed for ServerName\. Please select a different SQL Server host and instance.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73128

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Similar discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-sql-server-client-not-working

Please work through all suggestions/links in above thread.

First to check is that your user account has local admin rights and that UAC is disabled.

PS: there is no compatbility issue.