cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling NetBackup Port Usage on Client

PWW
Level 3

We have a solaris 10 client running an application that needs a non reserved port that Netbackup seems to chose when the client boots.  How do I control NetBackup's port range usage on that client?  Do I need to modify the bp.conf on the client? Are other modifications needed to the master,media server?  We are using mostly default settings... 

4 REPLIES 4

PWW
Level 3

We are using NetBackup 7.0.1

Will_Restore
Level 6

RANDOM _PORTS bp.conf entry for UNIX servers and clients

This entry specifies whether NetBackup chooses port numbers randomly or sequentially when it requires one for communication with NetBackup on other computers.

Table: RANDOM _PORTS information

Usage

Description

Where to use

On a UNIX master server or client.

How to use

Add RANDOM_PORTS to the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file.

• If RANDOM_PORTS = YES (default), NetBackup chooses port numbers randomly from those that are free in the allowed range. For example, if the range is from 1024 through 5000, it chooses randomly from the numbers in this range.

• If RANDOM_PORTS = NO, NetBackup chooses numbers sequentially, starting with the highest number available in the allowed range. For example, if the range is from 1024 through 5000, NetBackup chooses 5000 (if the number is available). If 5000 is not available, port 4999 is chosen.

By default, this option is not present and NetBackup uses the random method for selecting port numbers. This entry should appear only once in the bp.conf file.

Equivalent Administration Console property

NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Double-click on master server > Port Ranges > Use random port assignments.

See Port Ranges properties on UNIX/Linux.

See About bp.conf entries

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33230

Will_Restore
Level 6

Port Ranges properties on UNIX/Linux

Use the Port Ranges properties in the NetBackup Administration Console to determine how hosts connect to one another. These properties apply to selected master servers, media servers, and clients.

Figure: Port Ranges dialog box

Port Ranges dialog box

The Port Ranges dialog box contains the following properties.

Table: Port Ranges dialog box properties

Property

Description

Use random port assignments

Specifies how the selected computer chooses a port when it communicates with NetBackup on other computers. Enable this property to let NetBackup randomly select ports from those that are free in the allowed range. For example, if the range is from 1023 through 5000, it chooses randomly from the numbers in this range.

If this property is not enabled, NetBackup chooses numbers sequentially, not randomly. NetBackup starts with the highest number that is available in the allowed range. For example, if the range is from 1023 through 5000, NetBackup chooses 5000. If 5000 is in use, port 4999 is chosen.

This property is enabled by default.

Client port window

Lets the administrator define the range of non-reserved ports on the selected computer. NetBackup can use any available port within this range to communicate with NetBackup on another computer.

Use OS selected non reserved port

Lets the operating system determine which non-reserved port to use.

Client reserved port window

This property no longer applies to NetBackup 7.0.1 and later. For information about this property, refer to documentation from a previous release.

Server port window

This property no longer applies to NetBackup 7.0.1 and later. For information about this property, refer to documentation from a previous release.

Server reserved port window

This property no longer applies NetBackup 7.0.1 and later. For information about this property, refer to documentation from a previous release.

See Registered ports and dynamically-allocated ports on UNIX/Linux

See About the Host Properties on UNIX/Linux

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33154

PWW
Level 3

wrobbins,

Thanks, I had seen these pages but I'm unclear as to which hosts need to get the port range specification?      my client only?     or my master and media servers as well?

Thank you.

P.