cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Vault Duplication to SLP

Narrybhatia
Level 4

Hi,

I have a server configured with vault profiles which is meant for duplication. I want to remove vaulting and all its porfiles and want data to duplicate to tapes via SLP.I have following questions:

1. Can I configure multpile retentions in same SLP ?

2. I have full backups schedule on every alternative weekends and diffrential backups daily. Full and diffrential backups have different schedules to start. Can I configure different schedules in same SLP or I need to create seperate SLP for diffrential and monthly full.

3. What all advantages I can get in my envorinment if I move duplication from vault to SLP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

ALL Storage Unit types are supported except BasicDisk.

This means AdvanceDisk and PureDisk are fully supported.

Backups under SLP control has no effect on performance.
The Backup portion of the SLP works exactly the same as any other backup.

Duplication logic is different - SLP will group images into 'chunks' to try and increase performance and prevent lots of small duplication jobs. 
These settings can be customized.

Please look for 'SLP Best Practice' doc to read up on SLP config parameters.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Genericus
   VIP   

You can have multiple retentions in one SLP, but ALL images using that SLP will get ALL the retentions.

If you want daily to have seperate retention, you need seperate SLP. 

For example

Daily_2wk

Weekly_1mo

You can have the Weekly backup both 2wk and 1mo, or whatever.

You can call the SLP you want from the schedule.

I moved from vault duplications to SLP a few years ago and definitely prefer it. The control you have about what duplicates when and where is much better.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne

1. Can I configure multpile retentions in same SLP ? 

Yes. Backup and Duplication can have different retentions. Slp Looks like this:

Backup : Storage Unit  : Retention
    Duplication  : Storage Unit : Retention

2. I have full backups schedule on every alternative weekends and diffrential backups daily. Full and diffrential backups have different schedules to start. Can I configure different schedules in same SLP or I need to create seperate SLP for diffrential and monthly full. 

Create different SLPs for Diff and Full,  - each with own Storage and Retention

Schedules are not configured in SLP - it is configured in backup policies as before.
You simply override the storage in each relevant schedule and select the SLP that matches the schedule requirements

3. What all advantages I can get in my envorinment if I move duplication from vault to SLP?

SLP guarantees duplication in the sense that it automatically kicks off after backups have completed (or else in SLP window if you choose to do so).
If 1st duplication attempt fails, NBU will keep on trying until duplication succeeds.
Backup within SLP initially gets Infinity retention. Only when duplication has completed successfully will retention for backup copy be applied.

Please read up in NBU Admin Guide and also search for 'SLP Best Practice' doc.
You will see that basically all STU types are supported for SLP backup and duplication destination EXCEPT for Basic Disk.

Narrybhatia
Level 4

Hi,

As I understand from the above posts, it means that for monthly full I need to create seperate SLP as it has different retention than that of diffrential.

Narrybhatia
Level 4

Also, I want to know if SLP work on Advancedisk well ?

Should I consider replacing advance disk to Pure disk? Will this cause any effects w.r.t. duplication or backup performance?

Marianne

ALL Storage Unit types are supported except BasicDisk.

This means AdvanceDisk and PureDisk are fully supported.

Backups under SLP control has no effect on performance.
The Backup portion of the SLP works exactly the same as any other backup.

Duplication logic is different - SLP will group images into 'chunks' to try and increase performance and prevent lots of small duplication jobs. 
These settings can be customized.

Please look for 'SLP Best Practice' doc to read up on SLP config parameters.