cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy data from LTO 3 to LTO 8

Bachchan
Level 6
Hello Everyone,
I need some recommendation on NBU and copying data from LTO 3 to LTO 8.
We are running old version of NBU 6.0 . The first question is:
1. Is it possible to copy data from LTO 3 to LTO 8?
2. Waht steps needs to be kept in mind from the architecture point of view to do that?
3. What is the minimum version of NBU we need to upgrade in order to copy from LTO 3 to LTO 8?
4. If Veritas has any document Pls share

**** Changed subject ****
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
1. Yes. It is called duplication.
2. You need tape drives to read the LTO3 media (LTO3, LTO4 or LTO5 drive(s) ) and LTO8 drives and media to duplicate to. Preferrably connected to the same media server.
3. NBU 7.7
4. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41087680-126559472

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
1. Yes. It is called duplication.
2. You need tape drives to read the LTO3 media (LTO3, LTO4 or LTO5 drive(s) ) and LTO8 drives and media to duplicate to. Preferrably connected to the same media server.
3. NBU 7.7
4. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41087680-126559472

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Pretty much as Marianne says ....

You cannot specify a target tape, you specify the target pool, so just make sure the LTO8 tapes are in their own unique volume pool.

bpduplicate -id <media id to copy> -dstunit <destination storage unit>  -dp <destination volume pool>

bpduplicate -id TAPE1 -dstunit tape_stu -dp nbu-duplicate

Thanks Marianne !!!

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6

Also, remember that no hardware is compatible with both LTO3 & LTO8, so you'll need at least two tape units, one which can read LTO3 media (could be LTO3, LTO4 or LTO5 drives) and another that could write LTO8 (only LTO8 tapes can write on LTO8 media right now). You should be able to duplicate from the old media to disk, and from there to the new media.

Marianne
@Alexis_Jeldrez
Thanks for confirming what I posted 5 days ago!

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6

I'm sorry, I misread your post :(