cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct process to patch OS of master and media servers

JMEsc
Level 2

Hi all!

I'm new as Netbackup Admin. One of my first tasks is patch the OS of my media and master servers. I've a solution with only one Master and one media servers. Time ago and with old versions I know that existed some problems with this process and I want to be sure about the correct way to do it. I can't find any How To document from Veritas about this task.

Netbackup version: 7.1.0.4.

Both servers run Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent. but I've one of theme running without SP1 :(

Thanks!

Manel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

First make sure no jobs in progress, then shutdown NetBackup, then patch your servers. 

I stop services first on the Master then on Media servers.  Once all servers are patched and rebooted, NetBackup should come up on its own.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Confrim the SP / OS is certified with version of NBU you are running.

Check these 2 places : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 - NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5201 - NetBackup 7.1.0.4 Release Notes

The release notes have a section regarding OS patches

JMEsc
Level 2

Sorry Dyneshia,

I mean the steps to do a correct installation of the patches, for example, first patch media or master, if I must stop a specific service in the other server.

Thanks!

Manel

Will_Restore
Level 6

First make sure no jobs in progress, then shutdown NetBackup, then patch your servers. 

I stop services first on the Master then on Media servers.  Once all servers are patched and rebooted, NetBackup should come up on its own.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The answer ALWAYS is:

1. OpsCenter server, if you have one
2. Master server
3. Media servers
4. Clients

(HEY EVERYBODY THAT LIST ABOVE IS THE ANSWER TO AN EXAM QUESTION SO MEMORIZE IT)

As far as services, the install script will direct you on stopping and starting NetBackup when you run it.

Everything you will need to download is right here:

NetBackup 7.1.0.4 Download Links
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH181132

Will_Restore
Level 6

I don't disagree about patching NetBackup this way, but the question was OS patching.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Aw nuts. 

Sorry, coffee hadn't kicked in I guess.

(I guess I'd still do 'em in that order, though!)

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

1) Confirm the OS patch is certified with the version of  Netbackup you are on.

Once that has been confirmed

2) Start with (like chris said ) Ops Center , Master , Media Client.

JMEsc
Level 2

Thanks All,

Is necessary stop services or execute some command? I saw in some posts that we must stop services and delete some files when them are stopped.

Regards,

Manel

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I would recommend to stop all the services on all the servers, except on the clients, before beginning your OS upgrades. That keeps stuff from interfering.

JMEsc
Level 2

hi all,

My first 'test' was succefully. At this case I only updated my master server with the SP1 of W2008 R2.

First step. Check no jobs running. Stop all services with bpdown.exe and start installation.

Now I've got my complicated update. I'm going to update Master and media server.

At this case I'm going to first, Deactivate Media Server from Master. Stop services and apply first in Master, reboot, appy in the Media, reboot and Activate again the Media Server.

Do you agree with these steps?

Regards,

Manel

Will_Restore
Level 6

>Deactivate Media Server from Master

No, you don't need to go that far. Just stop services on the Master and Media Servers.