cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Disk Pool with Amazon S3

elanmbx
Level 6

Has anyone had any success getting S3 buckets configured with NetBackup 7.5 for cloud backup?  When I run through the Disk Pool Config it allows me to "Add New Volume" successfully, but then displays NOTHING in the "Select volumes" pane.  I am logged into my AWS account and can confirm that the new bucket *is* getting created in S3.

Why would it not display the newly created bucket for me to select?  Anyone run into this?

Thanks,

-Mike-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Easy questions first:  Do you have any capital letters in your bucket name(s)?  They don't work.

NetBackup Amazon S3 Cloud Storage buckets do not support capitalization
 http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79498

Is it really 7.5, or is it a later maintenance release?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6

Easy questions first:  Do you have any capital letters in your bucket name(s)?  They don't work.

NetBackup Amazon S3 Cloud Storage buckets do not support capitalization
 http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79498

Is it really 7.5, or is it a later maintenance release?

elanmbx
Level 6

Nope.  No caps in my bucket name.  It's simply: location.netbackup.test

I have a feeling that it has something to do possibly with permissions on the S3 bucket or the way that NetBackup accesses the bucket via the network.  It just seems strange that it will allow me to create the bucket through the setup wizard but then not display the bucket once it has been created.

I have also tried "pre-creating" a bucket via the S3 interface itself, but it doesn't show up in the list of available storage either in the wizard.

Also - the version of NBU is 7.5.0.4 - so pretty current.

Hmmm...

CRZ
Level 6

Aaaaaand that's all I know about .cloud. :)  Sorry, but you may need to open a support case and talk to a TSE who knows a little more about this than I do.  What I CAN tell you is that other folks HAVE gotten this to work, so it's not impossible.

elanmbx
Level 6

Apparently a cap in ANY bucket name in your account will cause problems.  There was *one* existing bucket in our enterprise Amazon account with caps... and that prevented NetBackup from seeing ANY of the buckets.  Once that bucket was removed everything worked fine.