cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating MSDP on RedHat 6

Criss_R
Level 4

We are currently working on setting up some Media Storage servers in out new NetBackup environment. Currently, in 7.1.0.3, the MSDP pools can be up to 32tb in size. With 7.5, that grows to 64tb in size. When looking at setting up the storage for our MSDP pools,our RedHat admin is trying to create a file system where the pools will reside. He keeps seeing that the EXT4 file system has a max file size of 16tb. I see that XFS file system can go up to 8 exabytes. What file system do we need to setup for our MSDP pools, or do we just need to setup a raw partition? Hopefully this all makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Criss_R
Level 4

We decided to go with using XFS files system. Thanks for everyones input.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Normally, most files are stored in 256MB containers, so the 16TB file size is not relevant, unless EXT4 is limited to indeed 16TB file system size.

However, if you intend to use the full 32-64TB size of a MSDP, you are probably better off using VxFS or XFS anyways... EXT4 has a lot of features, but in my experience, XFS and VxFS has proved to work quite well.

/A

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As the above thread says use VxFS or XFS (it would generally be XFS is you have not purchased VxFS)

RAW is not an option

Dont forget to plan carefully your storage to put the MSDP database on its own spindles and also bear in mind that the new 64TB limit requires more memory and CPU so ensure your server is up to it

Criss_R
Level 4

Thanks for the quick response. We will look into using XFS. Also, I understand that Symantec uses Storage Foundation on their appliances. That's how they get aroung the 16tb limit. We will look into that as well. Thanks.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can try and use Storage Foundation Basic under some license restrictions.

Veritas Storage Foundation Basic is a free-license version of Veritas Storage Foundation, specifically designed for workloads running on single and dual-processor servers — including edge-tier, departmental, and test/development systems. Veritas Storage Foundation Basic combines the industry-leading Veritas File System and Veritas Volume Manager, offering a complete solution for heterogeneous online storage management.

Criss_R
Level 4

Thank you. This just may be the ticket!!!

Criss_R
Level 4

We decided to go with using XFS files system. Thanks for everyones input.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Good stuff - I take it you didnt feel anyones answer satisfied the "Mark as Solution" for you.sad