cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Backup Infrastructure with best practices

Hakeem
Level 4

Dear All,

Is there anyone who is willing to support creating a new NetBackup infrastrucure according to Symantec best pratices . My requirements or scnerio is as folow.

1- HQ Data  

2- Regional Data (from 5 offices or sites) to bring to HQ

3- RHQ . Once All data from regional and HQ are backed up we need to send it to regional HQ or DR site.

4- I would like to have one DR site,HA or clustering or 2nd master server, whatever is best in our case  within the same HQ location.  In case something goes wrong with Master server so I can  have all the configuration and can easily restore backed up data .

tx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Since you are new to NetBackup, please contact your local Symantec reseller to assist you with best possible solution to fit your budget.

High Availability can be achieved by clustering a NBU master server.
Alternatively use MSDP or NBU Appliances to replicate backups via AIR to remote site.
In most instances, replicating backups via AIR makes master server cluster redundant.

Please speak to a knowledgeable Solutions Architect at reseller or Symantec office.
This is NOT a DIY task...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Best practice for an architecture would be influenced by your specific RPO/RTO for each application / service, site, data center, etc. After that is defined your best practice architecture will be reduced to what ever you can afford i.e. your budget.

You'd want to start with the RPO/RTO and then see what to put where, and if you can afford it or not.

Hakeem
Level 4

ok . What is RPO/RTO?

You mean to say the price for licensing,Storage or some other server requirements?

Please explain it . I am new to NetBackup.

Tx

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

IMO, Riaan's advice is the best place to start.  Because... if one dives in, and starts getting all technical, then it is possible to design. spend, deliver a solution which might not be fit for purpose.

RPO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_point_objective

RTO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_time_objective

As Riaan has said, determining the RPO and RTO at the site, service and application layers (N.B: not at the 'server/host' layer) will inform you what it is you have to 'achieve' to meet the business needs.  Once you know what it is you have to achieve, then you can begin to explore how best to achieve the required RPO and RTO - and this is when a couple of iterations of simple HLD (High Level Design) and BOM (Bill Of Materials) will begin to give a fair indication of the costs of different design decisions - which in turn can begin to grease the wheels of budgetary discussions.

No one has suggested to not start on the LLD (Low Level Design), so I will say it... my advice is to NOT start the LLD now, or even soon.  Get the RTO/RPO clear and concise, and the solution will quite literally fall in to place.

Marianne
Level 6
RPO and RTO is your company's recovery objectives. RPO = Recovery Point Objective RTO = Recovery Time Objective You may want Google these concept to understand more about it. This is a management decision. How much data can your company afford to lose in case of a disaster? How soon must critical servers be up and running again in case of a disaster? This is not a backup admin's decision. Recovery needs are determined by Management and business requirements. If RPO and RTO is known for all critical servers, then your management can consult with your Veritas reseller for best HA and recovery strategy for your business needs.

Hakeem
Level 4

In our DR Plan the RTO  for ICT services are within 24 hours

The data are proriortised based on the criticaly of it

As of now we have Remote DR site but using Robocopy to tranfer data.

Now I want to have local server or NB Master server to hold the data or make a 2nd copy of data or if we can some how arrange to make HA server for Netbackup.

After all these I would also liek to add Remote site to send Data to it using NetBackup facility xyz.

in this case do I still need to contact our Focal point for NetBackup or some here can assist me.

But dont' for get that I ma new to NetBackup.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Since you are new to NetBackup, please contact your local Symantec reseller to assist you with best possible solution to fit your budget.

High Availability can be achieved by clustering a NBU master server.
Alternatively use MSDP or NBU Appliances to replicate backups via AIR to remote site.
In most instances, replicating backups via AIR makes master server cluster redundant.

Please speak to a knowledgeable Solutions Architect at reseller or Symantec office.
This is NOT a DIY task...

Hakeem
Level 4

No problem Mariane,

I understood..

Thanks