cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a non-root user to manage netbackup through java admin console

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Hi

Can anyone tell me how I need to configure my veritas netbackup environment such a way so that

1. I create a non-root user to manage veritas netbackup from with the master server running on linux. I have configured using sudo with root previlages and i am able to manage the environment.

2. how do i use the same user to log in using the java admin console to administer master server from remote.

I am working on this and i am going to add the user to the root user group and try logging. Meantime i wanted to get your suggestions on how to go about implementing it.

Thanks in advance.

SK
4 REPLIES 4

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Hi,

It did not work as well. I am not getting the administration console, rather i am getting the client side backup/restore console. Need your help.

Regards
SK

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Satish,

To accomplish what you require you must make sure the user has a valid UNIX account on the master server. Once that is done then complete the following:

1. cd to /usr/openv/java
2. vi auth.conf. Add the user information to the file:

ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL

* Entire file should appear similar to the following:
root ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
* ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU+ARC

NOTE THAT if you do not want the user to have full administration rights in the console you will need to modify the auth.conf file accordingly. There is information in the Sys Admin Guide for Unix verion 5.0 (vol 1) on pages 480-48.

3. IF this is prior to version 4.5 MP/FP6, the nonroot_admin script will need to be executed.

Once this is configured on the UNIX side, the user should be able to login from a remote PC using the java console (specifying the master server host name) or locally.

Deb

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Hi

It worked. One another thing which i wanted to implement is :

(a) I want to restrict access to the non-root user who is my backup admin to administer netbackup using NB admin commands and bpadm utility. I saw in the documentatiaon that there willl be a nonroot_admin scripts which needs to be executed. I dont see a file htere. Can you help me out.

REgards
SK

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Satish,
In NetBackup version 5.1 that script has been removed (in 5.0 it was moved to the goodies directory), mainly due to security concerns.
Basically all the script did was modify the group ownership and permissions (setting them to 644) on the commands that the users can execute. You can accomplish the same thing manually.

Deb