cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating snapshot policy

RGuinn
Level 4

We are currently testing using NetBackup snapshot policies with Hitachi ShadowImage. I have some questions that I'm hoping you geniuses and gurus can answer for me.

Our environment:

NetBackup 7.0 Master Server on AIX 5.3 ML11

NetBackup 7.0 Media Server on AIX 5.3 ML11

NetBackup 7.0 Client on AIX 5.3 ML09 running SAP for Oracle

Hitachi USPV

We have successfully created ShadowImage copies of our Oracle database filesystems on the client. We are able to manually split the mirrors and re-synchronize them. What we are trying to accomplish is to map the secondary volumes to the Media Server, then create a policy that will split the mirror, back up the secondary volumes, (LAN free) on the Media Server, then re-synchronize the primary and secondary copies on the client.

My questions:

1. Is this possible?
  2. Do I need to have VxVM on the client? (I have read that somewhere in the documentation)
  3. My understanding is that the Media Server backup is considered and off-host backup. Is this correct?
  4. When creating the policy, what type of asset do I chose, File System, or Disk Volume?
  5. Has anyone done this, (or something similar) and do you have any caveats for me?

Thanks,

-Randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your first stop is the compatibilty guide:

NetBackup 7 Snapshot Client (CL):     http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901

p. 180 covers Hitachi USP-V and AIX.

Basically, you need VxVM for everything....

If all compatibilities are in place, Snapshot Client is simply the best thing since sliced bread!

The policy automates the entire process - the snapshot, the deport, import, backup, snap back, resync. All of this is covered in the Snapshot Client Admin Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127074

Your understanding of off-host backup is correct (see Admin Guide above)

As far as policy config is concerned, you can either do filesystem or Database Agent backups (event though there is no database installed on the media server). For filesystem, the Admin Guide contains sample scripts to but the database in backup mode.

I have personally configured this at different customer sites - no issues whatsoever (as long as compatibilities are confirmed and config steps followed 'as per the book). Only thing to remember is that ALL NBU versions must be upgraded/patched together - the master, media server that acts as off-host client and the source client.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Your first stop is the compatibilty guide:

NetBackup 7 Snapshot Client (CL):     http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901

p. 180 covers Hitachi USP-V and AIX.

Basically, you need VxVM for everything....

If all compatibilities are in place, Snapshot Client is simply the best thing since sliced bread!

The policy automates the entire process - the snapshot, the deport, import, backup, snap back, resync. All of this is covered in the Snapshot Client Admin Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127074

Your understanding of off-host backup is correct (see Admin Guide above)

As far as policy config is concerned, you can either do filesystem or Database Agent backups (event though there is no database installed on the media server). For filesystem, the Admin Guide contains sample scripts to but the database in backup mode.

I have personally configured this at different customer sites - no issues whatsoever (as long as compatibilities are confirmed and config steps followed 'as per the book). Only thing to remember is that ALL NBU versions must be upgraded/patched together - the master, media server that acts as off-host client and the source client.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

FYI

pls note, there is a bug in Netbackup 6.5/7.x agent for SAP when performing roll back of entire volumes (not single file restore).  There is a EEB around to fix the issue. If needed I can provide the case number as a reference.

RGuinn
Level 4

If I am doing off-host backups on my Media Server, do I need VxVM on both the Media Server and the Client?

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. If the agent is doing a 'vxdg deport' on the source host, it will need to do a 'vxdg import' on the media server.