Did you mean: 

Cross Datacenter Restore

dixit47
Level 4

Master server1: NBU 7.1
Master server2: NBU 7.1

Client1 :NetBackup-Solaris8 6.5.6
Client2 :NetBackup-Solaris8 6.5.6

We have received a restore ticket and the image is on disk , it's a cross domain restore from master1 to master2 .

source server : client1 , file : /client/temp/data   ( master : master1 )
needed to be restored on destination server : client2 , under destination path :  /restore   ( master2 ) .

Primary copy and copy 1 are on disk .

1. I have duplicated the images on tape ( on master1 , job id : 123 ) using media server media1 . ( drive hcart )

2. Media 2513MT and 2452MT were put to Frozen state and ship to master2 and put to DNV  and Restores volume pool .

3. db/images have been scp to master2 .

4. medias type is hcart, robot type TLD

5. Images were showing in catalog backup ( copy 2 ) made them Primary copy .

( did not edited /opt/openv/netbackup/db/altnames as No.Restrictions file was there under altnames )

on Destination client2 added media2 enrty ( as this media server had hcart drives , and dest client's media server had hcart3 drives )

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = media1 media2 in    Master2 bp.conf was also added .

But Data is not showing in Restore panel :(

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Importing the tapes will be the easiest way, or at least the quickest.

I can only suspect there is something wrong with the files you copied over.

The fle :

<policy>_<ctime>_FULL  (guess, it's a full backup)

This is the 'header' file, and it's unlikely there is anything wrong with it, though if certain settings in his file are wrong, it will prevent anything being visible in the BAR gui.

The other file needed is the .f file of the same name, but ending in .f - this is a bit mre complex, for stat it's a binary, thoough if can be viewed (cat_convert -dump <name of .f file>).

If the backup is small the .f file on it's own is 'complete'.  If the .f file grows (during backup) to more than (I think 2MB) it gets split up and it's contents are 'trannsferred' into mutilple files in the catstore dir  (all these files filenames contain the same <ctime> of the backup as seen in the header/ .f file name, so are easy to spot).

If this has 'happened' it is easy to spot, either look in the catstore dir on the original server, or look at the size of the .f file, it will be 72 bytes.

So in summay, I'm wondering if the .f file is 72 bytes, and you haven't copied across the extra files in the catstore dir.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you have the tapes shipped to server2, why don't you import the images rather than use the unsupported method of copying the images from one domain to another?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Importing the tapes will be the easiest way, or at least the quickest.

I can only suspect there is something wrong with the files you copied over.

The fle :

<policy>_<ctime>_FULL  (guess, it's a full backup)

This is the 'header' file, and it's unlikely there is anything wrong with it, though if certain settings in his file are wrong, it will prevent anything being visible in the BAR gui.

The other file needed is the .f file of the same name, but ending in .f - this is a bit mre complex, for stat it's a binary, thoough if can be viewed (cat_convert -dump <name of .f file>).

If the backup is small the .f file on it's own is 'complete'.  If the .f file grows (during backup) to more than (I think 2MB) it gets split up and it's contents are 'trannsferred' into mutilple files in the catstore dir  (all these files filenames contain the same <ctime> of the backup as seen in the header/ .f file name, so are easy to spot).

If this has 'happened' it is easy to spot, either look in the catstore dir on the original server, or look at the size of the .f file, it will be 72 bytes.

So in summay, I'm wondering if the .f file is 72 bytes, and you haven't copied across the extra files in the catstore dir.

dixit47
Level 4

.f files are not copied because of permission issue, now restore has completed successfully. Thanks all for ur help :)