cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA ENCRYPTION

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Experts,

I have a question regarding the license that is that true if i have a EVAL license my data will not be encrypted and if i have a PERMANENT LICENSE my data will be encrypted , if yes please tell me how i can check my data encrypted after applying the permanant lic.

Thanks

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is an older TechNote on client encryption but still pretty good (if I say so myself - I may have written it several years ago wink )

DOCUMENTATION: More about the NetBackup Encryption Option - detailed demonstration of encrypted backups, restores, disaster recovery and troubleshooting
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH56759

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Encryption does not have separate licence. It is included in standard client license.

Encryption is never enabled by default - you have to configure and enable it.

See NBU Security and Encryption Guide

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Maria ,

One more week to go for us to apply PERMANENT LICENSE and to encrypt now my clients asking for ENCRYPTION KEYS after configuring the encryption actually i need to know how it goes will it generate any KEYS after configuring the ENCRYPTION, please help me understanding this better.

Thanks,

Nayab

Marianne
Level 6

Again - there is no separate license key for encryption. It is enabled with standard client license.

You really need to read up on this option....

Please dowload manual that I have mentioned above and start reading from this heading onwards:

Option 1 - NetBackup client encryption

you will find information on bpkeyutil command to manage the NetBackup encryption key file.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Maria,

Was not able to understand how it works and how we need to configure being a fresher im finding a bit difficult do we have any step by step or graphical document to configure and generate the encryption these keys please help me out sad

Thanks

Nayab

Marianne
Level 6

I don't know of any other documentation or video.

Please read through the encryption section of the manual and let us know what exactly you do not understand.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are two type of encryption - client side and KMS - the Security and Encryption guide is pretty good

It is all done from the command line but relatively straight forward - you just need to keep a copy of every key / passphrase that you use in a safe place - if you loose them you will never decrypt your tapes.

I don't know of any other guides but if you have LTO4 / LTO5 drives I would reccomend using KMS as you maintain tape throughput which you can loose otherwise

In answer to your initial question .... an evaluation key gives you everything, including encryption

If you are really struggling i would suggest calling in a Symantec Pertner to assist you with setting it up

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is an older TechNote on client encryption but still pretty good (if I say so myself - I may have written it several years ago wink )

DOCUMENTATION: More about the NetBackup Encryption Option - detailed demonstration of encrypted backups, restores, disaster recovery and troubleshooting
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH56759

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi CRZ,

Can i have the above document for WINDOWS version as well so that i can do the encryption asap.

Thanks,

Nayab