cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFS folder backup (shadow copy impossible)

maitre
Level 2

Hello everyone
I do not know if I am on the right place because I am new to the community.
I have a problem and I will like your help.
I have a secondary DFS server, I want to make a shadow copy on the NBU, but I can not find the shadow directory to run this backup. how to enable shadow copy on this server?

Thank you for your help

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please have a look at this TN that explains in detail how configure the backup policy:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038589.html

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@maitre  in Windows parlance,   DFS areas appears to NetBackup as if it were plain NTFS structures   -   but DFSR areas appear to NetBackups as subsets underneath Shadow_Copy_Components.

So, backup DFS areas as if they were normal folders, and NetBackup will engage VSS to do the right thing.

And, backup DFSR areas as if they were under Shadow_Copy_Components, and NetBackup will engage VSS to do the right thing.

Do you see how in both cases... that NetBackup engages VSS to do the right thing.  i.e. you yourself should not need to mess around with VSS or with Shadow Copies.

However, if you are trying to do something special with VSS and/or Shadow Copies outside of the control of NetBackup, then you may need to ask a question elsewhere, perhaps on a Microsoft forum.

HTH.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Awesome explanation @sdo !

Strangely @maitre has not been back to look for answers.
Last visited the day he/she registered and posted here...