cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFSR Backup

gopi_enovate
Level 4

Hi,
       Why doesn't normal drive level backup work on servers with DFSR running?

I m sure it is going to be successful with shadow copy components. I couldn't think of any reason why drive level backup is disabled.
Moreover, incremental copy of shadow copy component DFSR backup is not going to work as expected without the accelerator.

Is there any reason why DFSR backup doesnt work with drive level backup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Distributed file system replication is Windows techology and it has got the DFSR writers on the windows box. The way NBU is designed to backup this is under shadow copy components. DFSR is live content replication from one server to the other server and NBU uses SSC to talk to the DFSR writer whereas the other vendor like CommVault, Networker do it as normal file level backup. It is just how different backup software works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
That is a question you need to ask Microsoft, not NBU.

gopi_enovate
Level 4

Yeah. But, i have always wondered how does it work with EMC Networker and not Netbackup.
I was wondering if the open file backup is the only reason behind using shadow copy components backup.

Even then, data is being backed up from DFS central server which is mostly a read only copy.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We cannot comment on how EMC Networker does it....

Here is how it works with NBU and best practice:

Backup and Restore of Microsoft DFSR data using Symantec NetBackup
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Distributed file system replication is Windows techology and it has got the DFSR writers on the windows box. The way NBU is designed to backup this is under shadow copy components. DFSR is live content replication from one server to the other server and NBU uses SSC to talk to the DFSR writer whereas the other vendor like CommVault, Networker do it as normal file level backup. It is just how different backup software works.

gopi_enovate
Level 4

We did try all possible solutions. If DFS data is large, i dont think any of the options work effectively.

An increment Shadow copy component backup makes a fully copy and consumes a large amount of space.
However, this backup works well with accelerator enabled.

Netbackup Accelerator is licensed as well!

gopi_enovate
Level 4

Thanks for your replies.

Then, it is a design that everyone can't be happy about.

Thanks for confirmation.