cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO write destination

Riadh_R17
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

We have some questions about the Desktop Laptop Option.

1. Could the DLO backups to the Netbackup appliance or storage tape ?

2. What is a main difference between implementing DLO or configuring a standard policy?

Thank you very much for your help :)

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Riadh_R17 

Let me try :

@Riadh_R17 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We have some questions about the Desktop Laptop Option.

1. Could the DLO backups to the Netbackup appliance or storage tape ?

I have been trying to find out if Universal Shares on the Appliance can be used as mapped CIFS storage for DLO.

The best answer that I have found was this one in the DLO forum:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Desktop-and-Laptop-Option/DLO-storage-location-on-SAMBA-server/m-p/875881...

p.90 of the DLO Admin Guide lists 'UNIX file systems or SAMBA shares on UNIX systems' as NOT supported. 

It is not possible for DLO to backup directly to NBU Appliance dedupe pool or tape.
The only way that you could use NBU, is to backup the DLO storage, using NBU Client software on the DLO Storage server.
You will use a MS-Windows policy to backup the DLO server storage. You will need to ensure that DLO services are stopped while running the NBU backup. ( I cannot find any documentation for this - just my logic.)

2. What is a main difference between implementing DLO or configuring a standard policy?

Thank you very much for your help :)

DLO is meant for the users' desktops and laptops.
It performs file-level of user documents, pictures, videos, PST files, etc.
It will run backups automatically while the user is online.
DLO needs it's own server with backup storage (local or network-attached).
Product page where you can get more info and datasheet:
https://www.veritas.com/protection/desktop-and-laptop-option

NetBackup is an Enterprise product meant for Servers, e.g. Windows File Servers, MS-SQL Servers, VMware/Hyper-V, Unix and Linux with or without databases, etc, etc.
You can use NBU for desktops and laptops, but the cost will probably too high for a Standard Client license. Backups will be missed when the backup policy runs at night and the desktop/laptop is shutdown or not on the local network.
NetBackup product page: https://www.veritas.com/protection/netbackup

#JustMy2c

@Marianne  Thank you very much :)

To the point @Marianne makes, the supportability of this is dependent upon the source, ie., DLO.  I don't know DLO inside and out but the Admin Guide does explicitly state that UNIX file systems and SAMBA shares on UNIX systems are not supported as storage targets, which is what Universal Share is; US isn't available on Windows at this point as it requires RHEL for BYO.  Would this work to an appliance?  Maybe.  But that's not the same thing as supportable.  The US would take the data, the question is whether DLO would allow it.

Veritas isn't explicitly testing (right now) specific applications for use with Universal Share.  It is a "universal" target for anything that can use a SMB share or NFS export as a target for dumping data or explicitly for backing up to.  The value of US is that it then can bring that into the NBU catalog and SLP operations to dup or replicate data automatically.  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thank you so much @vtas_chas  for taking the time Smiley Happy