cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Test with Catalog Archiving in place

chack22
Level 4

NetBackup 7.5.0.6

We have catalog archiving in place, and will need to 'prove' that the archived images carries over in our DR test. by performing a restore of an archived image. I checked the admin guides but don't see anything as it relates to a catalog recovery with catalog archiving in place. If I perform a cat archive, run a full catalog backup and then restore in our DR environment, do the archive pieces carry over normally i.e. a bpcatlist will function normally? Or do we need to rehydrate all archived images, run a full, and then perform the DR test? I'm assuming that things work like I described first, otherwise what would one do in a true DR event.

TIA for the sanity check.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The standard catalog recovery scenarios apply.  There is nothing different about doing a recovery when a catalog archiving is in place.

i.e. you first restore the catalog based on the instructions in the DR email or the troubleshooting guide.  If you needed to restore from images that were archived - it's the same procedure after that no matter what server you are on.

Restore the catalog archive by doing the following:

Use bpcatlist to list the files that need to be restored.

After the bpcatlist command displays the proper files to restore, run

bpcatres to restore the actual files.

To restore all the archived files from step 2, run the following command:

bpcatlist -client all -before Jan 1 2011 | bpcatres

This command restores all the catalog archive files before Jan 1, 2011

From the admin guide volume one.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The standard catalog recovery scenarios apply.  There is nothing different about doing a recovery when a catalog archiving is in place.

i.e. you first restore the catalog based on the instructions in the DR email or the troubleshooting guide.  If you needed to restore from images that were archived - it's the same procedure after that no matter what server you are on.

Restore the catalog archive by doing the following:

Use bpcatlist to list the files that need to be restored.

After the bpcatlist command displays the proper files to restore, run

bpcatres to restore the actual files.

To restore all the archived files from step 2, run the following command:

bpcatlist -client all -before Jan 1 2011 | bpcatres

This command restores all the catalog archive files before Jan 1, 2011

From the admin guide volume one.