cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR and Tape list

tollboy
Level 4

This is about calculating the tape list needed for the DR test:

Whenever our client tell us about the DR drill we ask them which application/DBs we are going to test and then on the declaration date we take calculate the tape list for those policies/clients from the prod site only.

In actual DR scenario we would be doing the following:

First restore the catalog on the DR site from the tapes we get from recovery email, then calculate the tapes needed for the restore from the newly restored catalog at DR site. Then ask offsite vendor to bring those tapes to the DR site in second iteration.

I know there is a critical policies field in catalog policy which reports the tapes needed for these policies. But will this thing work when we are duplicating backups from DD to tapes using SLP? also how feasible it is for like 100 policies?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

I do mean that tollboy. Nothing to lose as you can add and remove policies as you see fit in advance and can then quickly check the results to confirm or otherwise.

I dont recall there being any other impact, so it does appear to be exactly what you require. I have used it but its been so long since we exercised it I cant recall its accuracy.

You could then email that to your third party every day/every catalog backup. Handy!

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jim_dalton
Level 6

I believe thats the theory tollboy, I guess if it doesnt work then you can return back here and / or raise it with Netbackup support. I can see theres scope for some saving of effort / efficiency with your offsite party.

Have you tried it ie does the list of tapes make some sort of sense?

Jim

tollboy
Level 4

You mean critical policy list in Catalog backup? I havent tried. We have another DR drill scheduled in mid December before Holidays.

I will put a policy list in catalog backup, will see how that works.

jim_dalton
Level 6

I do mean that tollboy. Nothing to lose as you can add and remove policies as you see fit in advance and can then quickly check the results to confirm or otherwise.

I dont recall there being any other impact, so it does appear to be exactly what you require. I have used it but its been so long since we exercised it I cant recall its accuracy.

You could then email that to your third party every day/every catalog backup. Handy!

Jim

tollboy
Level 4
I am sorry for keeping this thread opened for so long. I haven't got chance to try the suggestion, I am closing this thread. But I will report back if anything useful is there.